• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sticking to one Food

wallytherobot360

Hello everyone, I hope you all are having a wonderful day! :)
I had recently gotten my B&W tegu from a shop up in LA (I got him on the 3rd of october).
The storekeeper there told me that he’d gotten him in July so my tegu is about about a few months old right now.
He’s been doing great since, eating and exploring in his new home. He’s very calm on the side of handling and is also very active.
A question I have in mind is that if he could stick to one insect, specifically Dubia roaches. He seems to get tired of the same insects after about a few days which gets a bit irritating. Before I started giving him Dubias it was crickets, hornworms and pinkies, both insects being scarce in my area (as in petshops having them such as petco or petsmart). He can eat pinkies forever, but that’d very unhealthy for him. After he got tired of both insects I decided to give him some dubias and he seemed to like them, so I started a small colony thinking that he’d eat dubia roaches for the entirety of his baby and juvenile stage.
Unsurprisingly, he turned down dubias after a few days.
Is there anyway that I could get him to eat one insect only? Because it gets a bit annoying going around trying to find crickets and hornworms. I’ve also tried giving him wax worms, superworms, and mealworms, all of which he didn’t eat.
His bask temp is 43° celsius and his humidity is about 70-90 percent most of the time. He also has a small UVB bulb on for the whole day.
If you could reply to me quickly that would be greatly appreciated :D:tegu:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Forget insects as a staple. Heavily dust pinkies, then hoppers, in calcium powder. Frozen/thaweds can be had easily as in Rodentpro. Can also check out haretoday for complete ground food. Offer organ meat, good wet dogfood, and roaches from time to time. Also add fish oil to food often. Good for shedding and pooping.

Yogamum

I feed lots of super worms. I don’t have access to roaches. I feed chicken hearts, chicken gizzards, liver, fish, duck, rabbit ... and lots of whale prey (mice and rats). Every day or so I add in a few super worms. Once a week or so I’ll feed only gut loaded super worms. I try to stick with the idea that variety is healthy My guy also love blueberries, grapes and mango. He will only take veggies specifically greens in his ground turkey. Also if he rejects food one day I do not make a secondary meal to feed him. I wait until the next day but he generally never refuses food. He’s growing like crazy ! Good luck !

Trizz1964

I must have the pickiest eater alive, wont eat super worms wont eat phoenix worms, now he gives me the look when i give him ground chicken hearts and livers, or turkey and pork, he ate one super worm then walked away but he going back to the chicken hearts and smells it then walks away he is definitely the pickiest little **** alive maybe 2 or 3 months,. well i think i'm going to have to hold my ground and let him hunger strike....

Guman

Let the tegu guide you. If he wants variety give him a variety. Are you in the USA? I only ask bc you used Celsius for your temperature report.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602