• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Spring tails in Savannah cage

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
So i'm good right? I am 100% sure they are spring tails not mites. They seem to just all clutter and stay under the basking spot(wood stacked up) where it is really moist underneath and my sav loves to burrow and a few under the water dish.

From what i read they are harmless, and to rid them all i have to do is really just dry the substrate, but i don't mind really they hide and i only see them when i move the water dish sometimes or the basking spot. My sav does not seem to mind them either.

Just want to be 100% sure that i'm safe, and they haven't gotten in my tegu cage yet. which is stacked in top of the savs cage.

Big Dave

I got wood mites in my Savannah enclosure. Again, don't hurt nothing but ugly to look at. My Savannah doesn't like crickets anymore so i seem to have a little colony in there too. I will have to put my beardies in there one day to clear them out haha.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Every once and a while, I'll find a silverfish crawling through the substrate. They don't do anything bad aside from generally being gross. One fell into the turtle pond once and got bitten in half, lol.

babyyitslove

LOL. I just have those stupid springtails in them... they reproduce so quickly, they're almost impossible to rid them yourself. Any tank that I have with high humidity is like a breeding ground for them. Luckily they haven't found the water monitor's enclosure in my bedroom yet!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had spring tails in Gurus enclosure earlier this summer. I thought they were baby spiders at first... lol. They're harmless.

olskool

Hey just on hear looking for some advice on my sav opie just got him 3 weeks ago and had a situation were i thought he had a prolapse but dried up and fell off talked to the vet and he had no idea of what it was he is a male everything seams to be ok and since i had him back home he only ate once about 10 african black crickets and has refused to eat for almost a week now just geting realy conserned about him any advice will be taken thanks olskool and opie

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It probably was a prolapse that dried up and fell off. There is a chance it got infected and will be a much larger problem. Do you mind describing your enclosure and the way you have it setup, temps, humidity, substrate, etc?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980