• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Some Advice on Feeding

kizy

Hi my son is looking after his brothers B/W tegu l buy liver, chicken , beef, pork turkey , heart, kidney and chicken livers , l chop and put a bit of each into bags and freeze is this food okay for him he also enjoyed some cooked smoked haddock, l always worry incase I'm not feeding him properly , he won't eat greens or fruit Thank you

Zyn

I wouldn’t feed anything cooked, make sure he’s getting calcium with meals as well as the occasional whole prey item. Depending on the Tegus size mice, rats, chicks, and so on.

kizy

Yes he puts calcium on all his food , I'll get some frozen mice is the raw meat okay , Thank you

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi ....All the raw meats are is pretty good, I give mine raw prawns/shrimp, sardines and salmon too.... Personally I would bag eachthing up seperate or in pairs to create variety each day (not in every meal) and like the others say whole prey is adviseable and very good for them.

kizy

Thanks , I've been worried incase I've been feeding the wrong food , I'll try him on seafood now thank you

kizy

Hi Joanna l buy my tegu's food in bulk so it last over a month or two that's why l have to freeze it ,

Joanna

Gotcha! We just took over the care of a black and white 3 year old tegu. He is super stubborn and seems to only like turkey and grapes! We have gone through the lists of foods with him, and he shows his displeasure but laying on top of the food or burying it. Does anyone else have a tegu this picky and opinionated?

kizy

Sounds like my son's when we got him , all he would eat was liver for a few wks , then we chopped up chicken , then ,added other meet but ours loves turkey liver we always add calcium to his food ,ours won't touch any fruit or veg ,have you tried a frozen mouse (defrost before you feed it to him )I'm going to try giving ours one ,xx

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hi my son is looking after his brothers B/W tegu l buy liver, chicken , beef, pork turkey , heart, kidney and chicken livers , l chop and put a bit of each into bags and freeze is this food okay for him he also enjoyed some cooked smoked haddock, l always worry incase I'm not feeding him properly , he won't eat greens or fruit Thank you

I've been feeding Skully, my black and white Tegu, every other day. I find that she actually does like fruit and a little veggie when she's not inundated with daily meat. Seems healthier to me, more like what she'd experience in the wild. I also don't feed on a perfect schedule....she seems to let me know when it's time. (Someone may want to correct me here - I'm also fairly new at this) I'm careful about not omitting the calcium though...I lost a young Tegu because of not knowing about calcium issues.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Gotcha! We just took over the care of a black and white 3 year old tegu. He is super stubborn and seems to only like turkey and grapes! We have gone through the lists of foods with him, and he shows his displeasure but laying on top of the food or burying it. Does anyone else have a tegu this picky and opinionated?

Skully will absolutely throw a tantrum when she doesn't want what I serve...Hides, rocks, watering holes, and food dishes are completely rearranged and she's worn out when she's done. I have walked in to find her food dish on her head. Is there a stronger word than opinionated? Lol... I can only assume she's a teenager in lizard years now. Oh - she's always up for a raw egg though. I just put a broken egg into a small dish, and she laps it up like a dog. Clearly she was good at being a little crocodile egg thief in Florida before she was rescued. Otherwise, she's a holy terror that lets me know every day that she's in charge. I've held her 3 times now since I got her in April this year. I love this lizard but I'm not sure why.

kizy

Skully will absolutely throw a tantrum when she doesn't want what I serve...Hides, rocks, watering holes, and food dishes are completely rearranged and she's worn out when she's done. I have walked in to find her food dish on her head. Is there a stronger word than opinionated? Lol... I can only assume she's a teenager in lizard years now. Oh - she's always up for a raw egg though. I just put a broken egg into a small dish, and she laps it up like a dog. Clearly she was good at being a little crocodile egg thief in Florida before she was rescued. Otherwise, she's a holy terror that lets me know every day that she's in charge. I've held her 3 times now since I got her in April this year. I love this lizard but I'm not sure why.
Hi can they eat raw eggs I've never tried giving our b/w tegu eggs .

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hi can they eat raw eggs I've never tried giving our b/w tegu eggs .

They love raw eggs - I've never heard anything different. They seek them out in the wild, it's part of the reason that they are trying to eradicate them from Florida. They are threatening some aligator populations (and others) because of their love for raw eggs. I got Skully from Rodney at Tegus Only in Florida, and discussed this with him, but there's a lot of info online about this too. Easy to google.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam