• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Smaller Tegu afraid of larger Tegu

Kay

Hello all! So a friend had to rehome her tegu so we took him. Gary is 3 years old and my original tegu Freckles, turned 1 in July. The first time I introduced them my original tegu peed himself three times and then wouldn't leave my side. The second meeting was in the bathroom. They got close to each other but Freckles ran. I put them both on the patio and Gary tries to get near him but Freckles runs. Today I put them on the patio again and Freckles avoided him. Gary gets near him and smells him but Freckles runs. Gary goes into his house as if his feelings are hurt when he runs. I then put them in a large tub together. Gary checks out Freckles but he tries to jump out like his life depends on it. So my question is should I continue to try to put them together even though Freckles is visibly afraid? Or is it kinda the same as when I first got him and had to sit in the bathroom with him everyday? Thanks

beardeddragon111

I'd just wait until they're around the same size, maybe you could introduce items from the larger ones enclosure to the smaller one so he can get associated with the smell. Other than that, it seems to put unnecessary stress on the smaller tegu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd just wait until they're around the same size, maybe you could introduce items from the larger ones enclosure to the smaller one so he can get associated with the smell. Other than that, it seems to put unnecessary stress on the smaller tegu.

or go one step further and as one is out playing put the other in the oposite enclosure so they really get scent of each other without the confrontation

onnie0047

I have 3, one LARGE one medium and one very small, I introduced them to each other in the bath tub, they only issues I have had is feeding, I from time to time feed them in their enclosure, when I do, the large one is dominate of course, but one time he grabbed the little one and shooked him to. high heaven. I had to intervene to protect the little one, but no injuries, now the little one stays away.

beardeddragon111

I have 3, one LARGE one medium and one very small, I introduced them to each other in the bath tub, they only issues I have had is feeding, I from time to time feed them in their enclosure, when I do, the large one is dominate of course, but one time he grabbed the little one and shooked him to. high heaven. I had to intervene to protect the little one, but no injuries, now the little one stays away.
I personally would not keep them together until they are all the same size. IMO it's just too large of a risk.

onnie0047

I have housed and cared for Lizards and reptiles of all sorts and sizes since 1978. I quite versed in reptile husbandry. Once in a while I may ask behavioral questions onTegus when I observe something I was unexacting. In the wild Tegus are not solitary and often gather together in groups of all sizes. While the small one is SMALL, he is only SMALL compared to the large adult and @ 22 inches he can hold his own. Certainly not a baby by any stretch of any imagination. I have had the oldest one for over 2 years, the middle one for 1 1/2 year and the youngest for a year. they are housed together, have been for many months with only one incident which considering why it happened boiled down to a non issue, but regardless, I was not asking for housing advise, It was only an anecdotal response based on my experience on how I introduced my 3. They risks taken large or small are mine to take.

beardeddragon111

And you posted your experience of something that is potentially very dangerous and lethal to the animals. A 22 inch tegu will lose to an adult every single time. Even if he is half the length of an adult, that's nowhere near half the body size. Any adult tegu could easily kill a 22 inch tegu, that's not even a debate, it would not be able to "stand it's own" if the adult wanted to hurt it. In the wild tegus are not solitary, and I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be kept together. People have kept tegus together for years before they hurt each other, there is always a risk. However, we as hobbyists have to take responsibility and lower the risk as much as possible. In captivity, they are very limited in any ability to escape.

If you want to take those risks, as unnecessary as it is, that's fine, but don't expect other people to be silent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602