• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Slow Shedding

My son's Red Tegu is just over 2 months old now. Since we got him, he has only shedded once. We have had him for 2 full months, so the shed we experienced was probably his first. I have a Black & White that seems like she sheds every 2 weeks. She is one year old and I have had her for 2 months as well.

Question:
1. Is the length of time to shed acceptable for my son's Red? He is eating primarily dubias. Every once in a while we can get him to eat a pinkie, but not consistently. In fact, only once has he eaten one. Same on the ground turkey mix. Not sure where to go from here.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Young eat a lot and grow a lot. Seem nearly always in some shed stage. Not to worry. Add some fish oil to food to help make forcan easy shed and shiny skin.

Merlot

Reds particularly have a hard time shedding their tails. Mine 1/2 the time the shed will come off in beautiful, creepy looking piece. And the other 1/2 the time I have to assist in shedding his tail. I give him a looong soak. Last week my tegu took the longest bath and loved it, two hours!!! Totally different though than my other tegu, this tegu like cool-like warm water and sat there for TWO HOURS! With me being paranoid of course and checking every ten minutes. My other likes piping hot bath water, so know your tegu comfortability in the bath, they’ll let you kkkw because they will fight like hell to get out of the temp isn’t right. Soak once a week in a bath for min 30 min. Hour is better. Each tegu lol. But twice a week is even better and just make sure your humidity is high and check often. And walther1 is the man, ever since I introduced cod liver oil pills, that I just cut open and poor on the food, it has helped in spades. Digestion, skin color and vibrancy, smoothness to the skin and his nails seem more like daggers now lol.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alpha is the same in the base of my shower ... I get 2 to 3 inch of water in the bottom and have a leaky plug so I can just leave the shower on a constant to keep up temp and Alpha sits under the droplets for ages.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980