• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Should I fast my tegu?

evan k

5 Year Member
Hi, I want to ask for help for my tegu. Currently I own a tegu which is six years old or so (dunno for the biological age). I also dont have any idea about the sex but my friend said that it is probably female since it doesn't develop a jowl and still roughly 95-97 cm after all these years. But what is concerning me now is my tegu are really stubborn about food. She doesn't want to eat anything else beside boiled or scrambled egg that I gave every 3 or 4 days. And also two mice at the end of the week. Seldomly it will take some fish meat but it is very rarely happen. Should I decrease my feeding frequency so it will get more hungry and willing to accept other food? I am really afraid she will get malnourished and dont live a long life. I will attach her picture below.

Thanks a lot 20200828_104656.jpg20200817_130341.jpg

evan k

5 Year Member
has this been a recent change? Possibility she is preparing for brumation. Does she always eat mice and eggs and turns down other options?
No as far as I am aware of. She has been like his for the past 4 years I think. About the brumation, I think that is not the cause since I live in Indonesia where it is hot almost everyday except rainy season. But maybe I am wrong.

Yes. She always have room for eggs and mice but not so for other food

Mikee1975

Hi, I want to ask for help for my tegu. Currently I own a tegu which is six years old or so (dunno for the biological age). I also dont have any idea about the sex but my friend said that it is probably female since it doesn't develop a jowl and still roughly 95-97 cm after all these years. But what is concerning me now is my tegu are really stubborn about food. She doesn't want to eat anything else beside boiled or scrambled egg that I gave every 3 or 4 days. And also two mice at the end of the week. Seldomly it will take some fish meat but it is very rarely happen. Should I decrease my feeding frequency so it will get more hungry and willing to accept other food? I am really afraid she will get malnourished and dont live a long life. I will attach her picture below.

Thanks a lotView attachment 15095View attachment 15096
Have you ever tried reptilinks . If not give a try. My girl loves them but I really never had an issue with her eating . Give it a try reptilinks.com

Dylan koch

This definitely doesnt look like a female I think it's a male those cheeks/jowls are pretty big! Also I feed mine every other day which is 3 times a week or so. Also does your tegu get proper calcium and ect? It could be other issues such as a deficiency of some sort or parasites. And I would try ground turkey or live rodents or insects! Tegus have very hard time turning down live food! Seems to me if all your tegu is eating is eggs its could have lack of real protein and calcium

Emma Townsend

This definitely doesnt look like a female I think it's a male those cheeks/jowls are pretty big! Also I feed mine every other day which is 3 times a week or so. Also does your tegu get proper calcium and ect? It could be other issues such as a deficiency of some sort or parasites. And I would try ground turkey or live rodents or insects! Tegus have very hard time turning down live food! Seems to me if all your tegu is eating is eggs its could have lack of real protein and calcium
I agree, the jowls make it appear to be a male! My female most definitely does not have big jowls even when she is chunky!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
My vote is a male... Just a side note - if he's eating frozen/thawed prey (mice) then that's prob the best news. Offer that more often. They all have their individual ideas about what to get you to feed them. I wouldn't withhold food. This is "slow down" time of the year. Def supplement with calcium and fish oil.

evan k

5 Year Member
I am sorry for the late reply. So you think it is a male? Well glad if it is a male since I am hoping it can grow bigger than that..

About the parasite, yeah my tegu got some infection problem back in 2019 or 2018 I think. But I have take him(?) to the vet again and they said he is fine and gaining weight again. I use calcium for the mice but seldomly for the eggs and fish. Unfortunately, it has been years since my tegu accept insect as his food...

So maybe I should add more calcium to his diet?

evan k

5 Year Member
My vote is a male... Just a side note - if he's eating frozen/thawed prey (mice) then that's prob the best news. Offer that more often. They all have their individual ideas about what to get you to feed them. I wouldn't withhold food. This is "slow down" time of the year. Def supplement with calcium and fish oil.
Sorry for the late reply. Well since most of you guys are saying it is a male, it is a male then..

Yes, he is still taking mice eagerly. But last week I only gave him 3 mice even though he looks like still kinda searching for some more and haven't fed him mice ever since. Sometimes I am afraid too much hair and fat will bring up some problem in the future. But if it is okay, I will offer him mice more oftenly then

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Most likely more mice won't hurt. Supplement with fish oil, and calcium. That will cause a much bigger problem if you leave that out!! They love salmon, ground turkey, chicken gizzards. All should be doused with oil and calcium. I like to soak my mice in water when I'm thawing them out so he gets as much water as I can give him. Water is really important - change it out every few days - keep it pretty fresh.

evan k

5 Year Member
Most likely more mice won't hurt. Supplement with fish oil, and calcium. That will cause a much bigger problem if you leave that out!! They love salmon, ground turkey, chicken gizzards. All should be doused with oil and calcium. I like to soak my mice in water when I'm thawing them out so he gets as much water as I can give him. Water is really important - change it out every few days - keep it pretty fresh.
Aah I see.. I will keep that in mind especially about the oil and soaking the mice in water. Thanks a lot!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Don't worry too much about what he "won't" eat. They are very particular individuals! My male eats very little variety, whereas the female I had would eat anything on the floor. She loved bugs - he hates them, etc. He looks at me like he's ready for his salmon, and shouldn't have to wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced