• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding

Wildanimalgal

Is there something I should be doing while my lizard is shedding? It is its first shed with me and I’ve had it since May 1st. I got it as a youngster maybe about 10 inches at most. Should I be soaking longer? Humidity levels are good staying at roughly around mid to high 80s throughout the day, never dropping below low 70s during the night. He seems to be doing well but is there anything I can aid in when he’s going through this process?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Fish oil in food, nice soaks and prepare yourself for a little bit of grumpyness once big from irritating skin....lol

But all sounds good on the whole :)

rantology

If you're not having any issues, don't fix what ain't broke. There are a few things you can do if your gu isn't having clean sheds - update us if that happens

Dylan koch

my tegus love when I help them with their shed it's like a bonding thing. And I've noticed it helps them realize your not going to hurt them but only when it's actually ready to come off

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Do or don't bath but misting really helps. You don't really have to do anything.

I agree with WTactical...you shouldn't have to do anything, this is natural, and can happen up to once a month while they're going through their growth spurts. But...we have them in captivity, and the mistakes, or learning curve we have as owners can affect the outcome of a shed. What I've seen during the shedding process is that they are definitely cranky, and they love a good heavy rock to rub on so they can get the excess skin off of their bodies and especially their face.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam