• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding Problems?

Jorgo

Evening peeps, my tegu has been in shed (or perhaps left shed?) within the past 2 weeks.
His enclosure, for the most part, has remained above 70% humidity, sometimes a bit above 90% after the morning misting. The low end of 70, the high end of 90 (this fluctuates on the day) basking spot tends to get around 105.
He also has a damp hide.

Despite the rest of himself having shed, his toes and about 2/3s of his tail are keeping their shed skin, which judging by his foot-stomping is causing discomfort.

He is however new and unused to me, and I am new to Tegus. I am worried about his tail and toes losing circulation and getting dropped. Should I go ahead and manhandle (as he is definitely not going to sit still in my hands yet) him to get him soaking and help get the rest of the shed off...or is this normal for a red tegu/I am worrying too much?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Common problem. Try moist sphagnum in hide and include fish oil in food.

Jorgo

I always have moist sphagnum in the hide, but I have not tried fish oil. I will pick some up and give it a go. Thanks for the idea. I'll update on how it goes.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good, please do. Sheds will go better, skin'll look shinier.

Jorgo

Well I am glad to say including oil has helped the shed and the second shed. I also took to directly misting the hide as needed. As it turns out, despite misting daily, the hide still dries out, albiet slower. So taken to making sure it is damp daily when the tegu leaves it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced