• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding and skin problems.

Roger

5 Year Member
Hello,

I have some skin issues with my red tegu.
I keep my red tegu in a enclosure with temperature gradient. 48 to 55 degrees Celsius under the hotspot. Which is a Solar Raptor 70 watt. The rest of the enclosure has a minimum of 26 to 27 degrees Celsius. At night 25 degrees Celsius. As humidity I have it 70%. Use a mistmachine from Hobby with a Hobby hygrostat. Now he has some cracks in his skin (see picture) on his back. Is the humidity still to low?
What can I do with his skin now? Use some cream for the skin? Soak in water daily? Seen something like cod oil? Something else?
Hope to see some reactions.

Attachments

• CAA860AE-F5F0-4F22-AF94-645455084C96.jpeg
    CAA860AE-F5F0-4F22-AF94-645455084C96.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

Jorgo

While your within the range, it is on the low end - I would try to aim for closer 80% humidty. Optionally, instead of trying to have the WHOLE tank be that, you can put some soaked moss into his hide to raise the humidty in there.

Other options include fish oil or fish in general. Putting some fish oil in your tegu's food I have heard can help, as well as feeding fish such as salmon. In general a varied diet can help a tegu a good deal. Another option is to spray them with some reptished

The only other thing to note is that red's seem to always have shedding problems. Watch for your tegu's toes and tail. If shed is not building up there, and they are shedding (just slowly) you are likely fine.

Roger

5 Year Member
Hi Jorgo,

thanks for your reply!
I have a mistmaker from Hobby which I have set by a hygrostat on 75%. Day and night. Do I have to push it higher at night?

The breeder told me to give him a vitamine B complex in his food. And I also give cod oil in his food since today.
Hope that this will help also.
Keep his substrate damp(not wet) and give him a bath every other day.

rantology

Sounds like you are doing well. The only thing not mentioned is a Betadine soak (warm water bath with a bit of Betadine in it). I'm a big fan of throwing a few packs of sphagnum moss inside the hide and spraying it down to make sure its nice and moist when they are in shed. I keep my dude @ 80-85% humidity. Looks like a handsome boy, would love to see a picture :p

Dylan koch

My reds recently have been having shedding issues even with humidity perfectly the arizona dry weather when outside daily messes with them! My problem was solved when I started to use baby oil or coconut oil daily or few times a week when soaking and I also with rub it all over their skin during shedding times works like a charm. They might get a little fussy when being all lubed up and start doing gator death roll but other than than

Jorgo

My problem was solved when I started to use baby oil or coconut oil daily or few times a week when soaking and I also with rub it all over their skin during shedding times works like a charm.
Although that is great to hear for you, I must STRONGLY caution against the use of coconut oil. From what I understand it cooks your tegu, well badly burn them. While I have not experienced this myself, another user has. Here is a link to the relevant post https://www.tegutalk.com/threads/co...=email&utm_campaign=ed1378&utm_content=iss109

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced