• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sexing Help

Orchardreptiles

Hello,

Can anyone help sex my 1 year old?
PXL_20210918_140300320.MP.jpg
PXL_20210918_140258198.MP.jpg

Could I see it’s head/ face?
that’s a pretty easy way to determine the sex of a tegu. It’s not gonna be 100% exact but it’s like an 80-90% accurate way to figure it out.

Orchardreptiles

Could I see it’s head/ face?
that’s a pretty easy way to determine the sex of a tegu. It’s not gonna be 100% exact but it’s like an 80-90% accurate way to figure it out.
Hopefully these work, thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210920_122130435.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210920_122130435.MP.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210920_122125128.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210920_122125128.MP.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Looks like a boy because the cheeks and head are wider, how big is it? Males are usually bigger than females. But yeah, I’d say it’s probably made. That and feel it’s *area* you might be able to feel a bump, which would further lead to the male suggestion. But yeah, unless he’s smaller than average for a year old I’d go for male until hes older and you can figure it out better.

Orchardreptiles

I believe it was a bit stunted prior to me receiving it. I got it in April and it doubled in size in a month, and has been rapidly growing since. Would not have been much bigger than hatchlings I have seen when I got him at 9 or so months old. Now it is just about 3 feet long.
PXL_20210918_135320793.MP.jpg

IG:teguzilla

I believe it was a bit stunted prior to me receiving it. I got it in April and it doubled in size in a month, and has been rapidly growing since. Would not have been much bigger than hatchlings I have seen when I got him at 9 or so months old. Now it is just about 3 feet long. View attachment 15920

at 1 year old and that size... I agree with Skippy.... I am almost 100% that is a boy as well.

Pruark

Hes growing his lil skin flaps on his cheeks he looks like a boy. At a yr old if u feel his genitals there will be two lil hard knots on both sides of his hole if hes a boy they have like lil horns under the skin for mating that girls dont have

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I think you can see the bump next to the cloaca on one side at least from your pictures. That would indicate male - but I couldn't see both bumps. So - if I go to the jowls....I thought female, only because my males' were well developed by a year. If you go by the growth rate.... def a male! My male grew that fast too - and my female was slow (but considered average size/weight) in comparison.

If you're right about being stunted (like kept in too small a tank for too long) then he'll make up for it once he's got room to grow. Chickens do that same thing when kept in cages with too many chicks in too small a cage. They survive by suspending their growth. Once brought out of that situation, they flourish and make up time that they've lost. (I used to raise enough chickens to have learned this....I'm not an expert)

So - you'll know soon enough. If it's jowls continue to grow bigger, then it's clearly a male. If not, she's a beauty!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam