• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sex of my tegu

TheWonderer

Is my tegu a boy or a girl? I couldn't really tell but he is 8 months old and about 28".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30

TheWonderer

Here are so pics with different angles.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not seeing the enlarged scales below the cloaca towards edge. Not certain because that area is a little pinched and so not entirely clear.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Here is a link to a photo that member chriswizz posted a few years ago with circles clearly showing the proper area that we need to see for sexing. Notice that these areas are anterior to and on the peripheries of the cloaca. What we are looking at are those really small scales within those circles, that indicates a male (as Roadkill has had to explain so many times before). The tegu in the photo has his legs spread out to show those areas clearly, which means pulling them slightly toward the abdomen and a bit toward the back, so there is no skin bunching up. We don't need to see the tail or even 2 cm posterior from the cloaca so get in nice and close. We also don't need a straight on shot to see both sides of the cloaca, one side would do and you can get better focused in that way. Basically a straight on shot of one of the circled areas with no skin bunching up and we should be able to sex it. Remember that these small scales are hard to make out if the photo is too bright, you need some shadow to see them clearly.

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/chrisswizz/media/my tegus 2012 onward/IMG_1894-Copy2.jpg.html

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is a link to a photo that member chriswizz posted a few years ago with circles clearly showing the proper area that we need to see for sexing. Notice that these areas are anterior to and on the peripheries of the cloaca. What we are looking at are those really small scales within those circles, that indicates a male (as Roadkill has had to explain so many times before). The tegu in the photo has his legs spread out to show those areas clearly, which means pulling them slightly toward the abdomen and a bit toward the back, so there is no skin bunching up. We don't need to see the tail or even 2 cm anterior of the cloaca so get in nice and close. We also don't need a straight on shot to see both sides of the cloaca, one side would do and you can get better focused in that way. Basically a straight on shot of one of the circled areas with no skin bunching up and we should be able to sex it. Remember that these small scales are hard to make out if the photo is too bright, you need some shadow to see them clearly.

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/chrisswizz/media/my tegus 2012 onward/IMG_1894-Copy2.jpg.html
Posterior to the cloaca.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I did mean anterior but I can that my wording is not too clear. I meant to say that we don't need to see 2 cm past the cloaca in the anterior direction (or that the area we need to see is within 2 cm of the cloaca in the anterior direction).
Ahh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam