• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Setup for my boy

Siggy

Hi all,

Big enclosure for a small red or go big from the beginning? Want to know this if it matters for taming my boy.

Kind regards

Siggy

Ps . I moved the firts post to the forum where it belongs

Last edited:

onnie0047

I wish I had a exact answer for you, I don't. I have had the Tegu fever for over a year now when I got my first one. Now I have 3, well 2, as one is on vacation somewhere in the house, I just cant find her. I know she is hiding, but she is apparently very good at it because I have not found her just yet. Back to your question. I am a prolific reader when I get the bug on something and every-night you can find me reading forums, care sheets etc, etc. I have come to the conclusion that there is only one training technique that one could say is written in stone when trying to tame a Tegu. Slow, easy and Gentle. For example. My B/W Tegu Oscar, Florida Wild Caught, female (?) I was able to Tame in 29 days. One day she is cowering in the corner when I open the cage, and they next day she was standing by the glass waiting for me to open it. The Red male(?) Captive bred,Felix, same treatment, same approach and on day 58 he still hates my guts. Huffs and puffs, Jumps and tries to fly through the air like superman to avoid me. Oscar never tried to bite me, but Felix kept trying till about a week or two ago. Lately he is not as jumpy when I open the class but he still huffs and puffs and gives me the stink eye. Others say they know the secret, ive tried them all including the bathtub training. works in the bathtub but once I get him back in his cage, it all goes out the window. ill keep trying, one day...maybe....good luck. Randy

Siggy

He is now in his enclosure for a week and a few day, bonding seems progressing good. He does nog puff or bite but still dont like being picked up most of the time. He love being rubbed under his head. He never tried to bite or hiss, just whip his tail if he doesnt like it.
But slow and steady we are forming a bond. He also eats out of my hand. Its a sweet little tegu 188 gr. I just can not seem to feed him mixed meat its to stcky, think i mix it to fine.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used to think that green-headed youngsters could be put in their forever home with a temporary partition at say the mid-way mark with the idea that it will provide a sense of security. that may not at all be necessary if it has a hide in which it feels comfortable.

I suggest that you get to whole prey as well soon. Always liberally dust/rain down calcium.

Siggy

He eat’s already 2 fuzzy and yesterday he walked bij his self on my hand to be fed outside his enclousure ❤️

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602