• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

savy taming

LizardzRock

So, I got this new savy about a month ago, I'm pretty sure it is a he(his hemipenes are very noticeable, but I know you are not sure until they fully mature) but anyways man is he a monster. I have had a savvy before and she was pretty chill from day one. Is this the behavior of a male possibly? The shyness has gotten a lot better. I do not force handle him, nor do I handle him really at all, only twice to move into its permanent enclosure from his temporary. I have had various herps and have moderate success taming, but man this seems like it might be impossible so far, but I know it takes time especially with a varanus that is 99.9% imports and savys in general. He feeds very well and from tongs(staple of crickets dusted with reptivite and Ca, and a pinkie every monday). I give him his space for the most part, he is in a 4'x2'x18", basking is right at 125f to 130f w/ a 100 watt Powersun & 100 watt ceramic heat emitter, hot side - 90f - humidity 50%, cool side has a 10.0 replti-glo for extra UVB - 78f - Humidity 80%+, he has a tub in his enclosure that is filled to the top with soil/sand mix which he loves to burrow in. the rest of the cage is a fir-bark and cypress mix. He has multiple hides on both hot and cool side plus water dish and soaking bin. I think my husbandry is just fine (not saying I couldn't use a few pointers every now an then) basically he seems really healthy (sent fecal exam to vet and it checked out fine 3 weeks ago). I just would think he would start to come around by now, but it seems as if it is just getting worse. Am I wrong? Should I just start trying to handle him on a weekly basis or wait until the situation improves to try? I do not want to over do it and cause him to act like this for the duration of his life or the time period I have him or whatever comes first. I know patience is a big part of a savvy, but I just have this gut feeling that he/she is not going to come around. Seems like he/she is possessed or something, like I said I have been moderately successful in taming many of my guys over the years, and some have been more challenging than others. He has grown 3 inches in the month that I have had him and I know he will be able to inflict a serious bite before before I know it. Any ideas? If I left anything out, please just ask. thanks. :D

Dana C

I would try carrying him to the bathroom, sit on the floor and let him go. Let him explore, smell things and see if he will investigate you. Talk to him softly all the while as well. If you can get him into a warm bath that might help as well. Repeat the process daily and see if you can observe and improvement.
I know what they say about Savannahs and Black throats and all arid geographic dwellers. However, most of them really enjoy a bath and it helps the shedding process a ton.

Having said that, they all have their own personalities and yours may be a hard one to tame to any degree. Then you have to make the decision to sell him to a breeder and buy another or continue to try to tame him.

LizardzRock

yea I am going to start incorporating that into it's care and my husbandry. I really hope it comes around... I honestly have not seen a monitor act like this...words cannot even describe... we shall see. thanks for your 2 cents Dana.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced