• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Savannah monitor help. and she's ticklish?

nessanicolle

CAM00524.jpg CAM00531.jpg CAM00205.jpg CAM00649(1).jpg

Hello again,

Haven't really been on much. My tegu (who is still un-named) is doing great and has gotten a little bigger. I've had my savannah(Bosc) monitor for about a month and I named her Shiva. Ive read a ton of research sites on these guys and its not my first time with them. I do know that they can be very mean and of course each one has its own temperament. I got her from a couple who's son was looking to sell her. She seemed to be healthy and almost two feet at almost two years old. At first she was really shy and hated to be touched which is completely understandable. Then, she got used to her surroundings and has calmed down more than normal. Now, SavannahMonitor.net (the website) says that savannah monitors don't just tame down and they are aggressive. She is feisty but not to the point where i cant hold her. I know when they close their eyes it's because of stress but shiva is out for an hour and then she starts to shut her eyes but i don't think its because shes just giving up and loosing the will to live because she eats greats and is active. Could anyone tell me if this is bad or did I just happen to come across a better tempered Bosc? She really is a sweet heart and I just want wants whats best for her.

Also, when i lightly poke the sides of her neck, she not really twitches but kinda moves her head to that side and it happens with both sides. It almost looks as if shes ticklish? anyone help me out here? It is kinda cute.

Much appreciation :)
-Vanessa

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Vanessa
She looks pretty happy and healthy! Not sure about the ticklish part... I guess it certainly could be tickling her! It does sound pretty cute though. I think you'd be able to tell when she's stressed and not liking something versus when she's relaxed and just chilling, especially when touching her...

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
An hour out away from the heat is making her cold, cold savs close their eyes and are calmer. How are you holding heat and humidity in that glass tank?

nessanicolle

I have a blanket over some of the screen and i mist the tank at least once a day but I also give her a bath two times a week.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So, when do you plan to upgrade her housing and get her into something that isn't a glass tank?

savannahmonitor.net

Hello. I never said that they are aggressive. ;)
what I do in fact say is
It is possible to raise a very tractable Savannah Monitor that will behave itself for you, but you must build trust gradually and never force yourself on the animal.

It has been my experience (and that of others) that well heated monitors are far more feisty than under heated monitors.

Littlefoot and Cera are tractable, never aggressive, however they do scratch me up like an angry cat if I hold them for more than a minute or two.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam