• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sav Monitor Diet

Deac77

5 Year Member
Ok ive been doing a lot of research on these guys (and this is the friendliest forum lol) and have been wondering savs are insectivores correct? and mammalian tissue isnt the best for these guys. but ive been reading about people feeding inverts like crawfish, fish, shrimp and other seafood along with larger insects and earthworms to them and they are claiming that this is the "healthiest" diet would this work because IF i was to get one like i want (not anytime soon dont worry) im not sure my roach colony could take a hit ever other day from a 5ft adult any feedback or opinion is welcome

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is a lot of debate over this. When I had a sav, I fed mostly dubias and crickets. Mice/rats were fed about once a week. Whole prey is the key as well as a properly set up enclosure. Check out savannahmonitor.co

Deac77

5 Year Member
yea I checked them out and checked the forum that the guy that made it is a member of (was hoping you would chime in james) seems like A LOT of fiery debate goes on about a sav diet...kinda think ill avoid that firing squad and ask the niche people here

the_cw

Nightcrawlers are good as well. James has it on the head: whole prey. Mice *are* okay so long as they're not the primary food. That leads to fatty, terrible problems.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my opinion mice could be fed as a primary food source if proper temps and humidity are maintained and the enclosure is large enough to allow sufficient exercise.

Crawfish, shrimp, etc are great items as long as they are whole. Stay away from ground turkey, cat/dog food, etc.

kinggill

I agree with James about the whole mice and Temperature thing...Maybe my input isnt needed here.Im from Wisconsin,so we Deer hunt.I dont waste nothing on the deer.I would save all the meat I was chopping up in roasts and steaks for me and bag up the scraps.Vension is a very lean meat that i would also feed along with mice.I fed this too my snapping turtles and my Bosc,when i was out of vension i would buy beef roast to feed also,its relatively cheap .I always figured that it was ok ...eat a few mice and a couple chunks of meat.He did love night crawlers but it was hard to get them in the winter,in the summer we hunted them.I did sprinkle a little supplement on the meat,not really sure if it was needed or not since he was getting whole mice along with the meat and night crawlers.

shaneluvsmonitors

5 Year Member
Savs most deffinatly do not get past 4' mate... who-ever wrote that in the there books wants a kick up the arse.... (were at one point confused with algibs which is why a lot of folks still think savs can grow to 5')

Meat - of any sort id avoid it for monitors... to high in phosphorus especially when young can cause there Ca levels to crash literally over night leading to MBD in a matter of days.

Savs can and do thrive of a rodent based diet... provided theyve got access to proper heat, substrate, humidity the lot.

To date no Savs have been bred from a totally invert diet... suggesting ours are inadequate one of there main prey items over in africa a species of giant cricket is the same size as a hatchling bosc....

I would personally stick with an 80/20 ratio of inverts to verts.

kinggill

So you are saying no meat for any monitors?We have always fed meat to the monitors at the zoo,along with trout,rodents,and chicks.Are they not scavengers and opportunistic feeders in the wild?If they come across a dead animal,they help them selves when the opportunity arises,and they surely dont eat the whole animal,ive seen countless films of Varanids tearing chunks off carrion ,I understand not too give them a sole diet of only meat. We can not duplicate their exact diet that they would have in the wild,but I dont see the problem if they are also getting whole rodents in their diet.

shaneluvsmonitors

5 Year Member
were not talking about wild varanids were talking about captive ones and i would stick with wholefoods... everything they need in a neat little package they eat carrion becaise they have to and which varanids you talking about? there are a lot of varanids and not all will come to carrion boscs for example.

oh there is a one HUGE exemption of course there always is...

Komodos

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Komodos should be fed whole prey as well. Ground meats are just filler. Why not give your monitor the best possible diet, whole prey??

shaneluvsmonitors

5 Year Member
james.w said:
Komodos should be fed whole prey as well. Ground meats are just filler. Why not give your monitor the best possible diet, whole prey??

Yes mate but in the case of komodos... whole prey means bits of a goat/cow etc

stuff there used to handling as well as the more normal stuff....

kinggill

I always felt like Variety is the best ,you should be feeding these lizards almost daily anyways...But these are still wild animals :)

Anything ive read on stomach contents of Bosc/Savannah monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)mainly contained mostly insects,maybe some small bird eggs and some lizards and toads ...never really seen where they mainly feed on rodents..which im sure they would eat every last one if they could raid a nest and get their jaws on them...But i guess,ive always tried to get my animals and the ones at the zoo too eat a variety,Mice ,ducks,chickens,meat whatever was available.It is funny though any Varanid ive seen on a show in the wild is has a girth of about 2 x its head...i think 99% of the ones we keep are obese...and probably because of a 100% whole rodent diet.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Majority of them are obese because they are not provided proper husbandry, ie high enough eat or enough space to exercise. Add that to feeding ground fatty meats and it is asking for trouble. Rodents are a whole meal in one, no need to supplement. Why make feeding you monitor a guessing game? A properly supported Savannah fed a diet of primarily rodents will live a long healthy life.

shaneluvsmonitors

5 Year Member
james.w said:
Majority of them are obese because they are not provided proper husbandry, ie high enough eat or enough space to exercise. Add that to feeding ground fatty meats and it is asking for trouble. Rodents are a whole meal in one, no need to supplement. Why make feeding you monitor a guessing game? A properly supported Savannah fed a diet of primarily rodents will live a long healthy life.

In full agreement there james.

Bad husbandry accounts for most monitors deaths in captivity after that its reproductive failure (lasses).

savannahmonitor.net

Great links on there plus a very interesting quote from daniel bennett

kinggill

I still believe Variety leads too a healthier animal,rather than just feeding rodents.
2j4rlt1.jpg

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Whole prey items. Tried and true. Ask any of the main monitor breeders. Do what's best for the monitor not what's easier for you.

kinggill

I feel feeding rodents is the easy way out,thats why im against a 100% rodent diet....takes time preparing meals,collecting worms and beatles,crawfish,etc...but i am always willing too invest the time for my animals rather than just unfreezing some mice...but each his own i guess...

I should add though Rocco was some wheres around 13 years old when he died...it was years ago back when they recommended feeding canned monitor diet ,so he was fed that regularly before i acquired him..so who knows if he would of lived longer with 100% rodents ...i know he got quite excited when i offered cicada's and June bugs too him.

shaneluvsmonitors

5 Year Member
kinggill said:
I still believe Variety leads too a healthier animal,rather than just feeding rodents.
2j4rlt1.jpg

Hence why i suggested 80/20 inverts to verts

hey look the sdz diet again slightly different but still the same reciple id avoid it personally.

Not proven out with anything but the original ackie group.

Rocco was a lone male i take it?
Not unusual in that respect some can and do hang on for ever even with a bad start.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam