• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Russets rhino male....

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well measured my russets lastnight and the day i got him 5/3/11 he was 16'' and last night 5/27/11 he was 17 1/4 pretty growth rate i must say in 3 1/2 weeks.Hes eating like a pig thats for sure,greens,Mazuri tortoise chow twice a week just started that two weeks ago and i soak it in water he loves it,and seems to put good weight on since hes been eating it plus greens.Just thought i'd share that.:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well here are some pictures i took of him after i cleaned his cage for the second time today and he ate like a pig again lol.I took a couple pictures right in front of him hes not really flighty,the only time he gets flighty is when i go to pick him up to clean his cage but that dont last long hes pretty good for his age.Enjoy:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Will do cant wait to see how his colors turn out being hes a russets,and i hope the other guys on here with rhino's take picture updates too cause they have nice rhino's as well.:)

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
Well here are some pictures i took of him after i cleaned his cage for the second time today and he ate like a pig again lol.I took a couple pictures right in front of him hes not really flighty,the only time he gets flighty is when i go to pick him up to clean his cage but that dont last long hes pretty good for his age.Enjoy:)

they sure grow fast !!
I have a feeling my 3'x8 ' cage isn't going to be big enough for very long . a year and a half or two years max . what do you think ?

herpgirl2510

I saw a rhino iguana for the first time at NERD in new hampshire. They were amazing you could rub them and pet them. So different from a green iguana.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
herpgirl2510 said:
I saw a rhino iguana for the first time at NERD in new hampshire. They were amazing you could rub them and pet them. So different from a green iguana.

Did you see the albino water monitors??

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
teguboy77 said:

they sure grow fast !!
I have a feeling my 3'x8 ' cage isn't going to be big enough for very long . a year and a half or two years max . what do you think ?

Yeah i know what your saying lol hes eating like a pig and i started feeding him Mazuri tortoise chow with Rep-Cal Juvenile Iguana Food and my rhino is looking like a tank lol,and he likes his collards so thats what i stick with,my rhino will come across the cage foor it lol.Yeah i have two boa monster a 6x4 and a 8x3 and i might sell there in great shape and build a cage for this rhino.Yeah that cage you have will prolly last a year or two maybe at the rate your guy is growing lol post more pictures.They say rhino's grow slower than green iguana,i had alot of greens before rhino's years ago and my rhino grows just as fast lol.:)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks good, but why do you keep him with no substrate and how do you keep humidity and temps in an aquarium?

herpgirl2510

I was talking to tom crutchfield he said it take 1-2 years for them to "tame" down. He said if you can do this you will have an awesome pet. He also said they live 70+ years.

He said you have to be hands off but the way to thrir heart is through food especially bringing them treat. Patience is not a virtue of mine this might prove difficult for me.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well news paper is easy to clean and i've always keep my rhino's on it and it works for me to be honest with you.And i've talk to other breeders like rob ehrig and he said it works well, Hatchling and juvenile Rhinos can be kept on a non-particulate substrate to prevent ingestion or Newspaper, paper towelling, butcher paper, towels, shelf liner, vinyl tiles, and reptile carpet are all suitable choices being i keep mine inside.And Humidity requirements can range from 40-75%. My Rhino does great at 60% my basking spot is 115f and at the basking end its at 45% humidity and this works great for me and this is just my opinion and i mist him twice a day and soak him once a week and hes doing excellent and my picture prove it.He's only in a 75 gallon aquarium for alittle longer i got two boamaster cages ready to go a 8x3 and a 6x4 i give nothng but the best for my rhino.What substrate do you use?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am using cypress mulch, but may try a soil/sand mix. I have heard about the keeping on newspaper etc. to prevent ingestion, but I find it to be a pain to clean. I use to keep snakes on newspaper for the same reason and everytime they pooped or peed I had to change all of the paper, and they only went once a week. I find cypress/sand easier to spot clean. I was just curious why you used it, and how you kept your humidity. What boamasters to you have, the melamine or plastic??

I have a question too about the "russet"?? My rhino looks exactly like yours, but wasn't sold to me as a Russet, is this a more expensive color?

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I mean you can use cypress mulch and stuff but i like news paper and i clean my cage probably once to twice a day, hes eating alot more now plus i change his diet a bit lol,Mazuri Tortoise chow and Rep-Cal Juvenile Iguana Food and greens but he loves the tortoise chow and rep cal for real lol its funny greens he'll eat,but will come across the cage as soon as he see's the chow and rep cal.My humidity honestly is the same all the time but its in the basement so i'm licky i guess,even at 40% they'll be fine.Again i like the news paper and will prolly always use it im a clean freak with my cages lol.I have the melamine ones and i'm selling them there in great shape i'm going to buld a nice cage for the my russets.Well my rhino is about to shed but before that he has alot of orange rust color to him that most others dont and yes they cost more i paied 335.00.Post pictures of your nice rhino .:)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Where do you get your Mazuri chow? How often do you feed the Mazuri/rep cal? I was looking at the Rep-Cal stuff today, but I think I would rather do the Mazuri. I will try and get some pics tomorrow or later this week.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I got my 4 lbs of Mazuri tortoise chow from www.tortoisesupply.com and for 4lbs with shipping i payed $23.00.I give him that and rep cal together about 4 times a week the othere three greens,i saw tom crutchfield gives the same thing to his rhino's and swears by it,and mine goes crazy for the mazuri lol.Yeah try to get some pictures up,its cool we got a kinda rhino thread going,plus to see how everybodies turns out and to give ideas and help one another.:)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tortoisesupply.com is local to me. I have seen them at the past 2 shows we have had here. I will have to get some and give it a try.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah they had a good price for 4lbs shipped to jersey,plus i add Rep-Cal Juvenile iguana food my guy loves it,and then i give him collards too.Tom Crutchfield gives his the tortoise chow and rep cal too give it a try.Gets some pictures up of your rhino lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980