• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

rhino update w/pics

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
the rhino iguana that i got from tom crutchfield has arrived today in good condition. he is about 14" and a bit skiddish! it looks like he will have multiple hornd i see like 4-5 starting. he is only 4 mo. so i dont know the sex, i offered some food not sure if he ate yet. but he is quite chubby so i know he ate good with tom lol. i need a name for him i was thinking dino, but not sure any ideas? the red tegu that i got from bobby also arrived this morning but didnt make the trip, apparently the heat pack burst in the box, im not sure. im waiting on bobby to give me a call back but he was beautiful! but on a better note; here are the pics of the iguana:

rhino1.jpg

rhino2.jpg

rhino3.jpg

rhino4.jpg

rhino5.jpg

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Re: rhino has arrived w/pics

Well, I was so excited to open this post until I saw the second part :-( . RIP Beautiful Red Tegu ...

On a happier note, your iguana is GORGEOUS! Mine is skiddish too. They are a lot more difficult to tame down then tegus it seems. The first day I left the iguana alone to get used to his tank but then the second day I let it out in an animal proof room and waited for him to come over and check me out. I have been doing that a lot lately and now he even lets me hold him to an extent. I also pull out the "beardie burrito" trick on him too, as I do on all my animals. They all love soft blankets and being wrapped in them. It calms them right down.

Good luck with your new guy!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

thank you im going to resist temptation and let him be for a day or two. he is very active and has been climbing all around the enclosure; checking everything out. and i was very saddened by the tegus passing my heart broke nearly bought me to tears!

isdrake

5 Year Member

What a cutie. :)
Don't name him/her Dino. That's so common, hehe.
I can't think of any name right now, I'm really bad at coming up with names.

F69erFred

5 Year Member

Wow thats sad poor gu. But on the other side you have a great looking rhino!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

thanks guys im going to post some more pics in a few mins. when i get to a computer

Jefroka

5 Year Member

Dude your rhino is friggin' awesome! Sorry about the red, that sucked big time!

...Jefroka

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

yeah i spoke with bobby about it he is going to send me another one it will be here next tuesday he is such an awesome guy, i havnt dealt with a better person than bobby! and thanks jefroka!

Jefroka

5 Year Member

reptastic said:
yeah i spoke with bobby about it he is going to send me another one it will be here next tuesday he is such an awesome guy, i havnt dealt with a better person than bobby! and thanks jefroka!

I figured that is what Bobby would do, a move like that has to be commended.

So Bobby, kudos to you man for being the stand up guy we all know you are!

...Jefroka

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

yeah he is the best!!!! a little update on the rhino he eats like a pig lol i gave him abowl full of greens, dandelion leaves and veggies with some iguiana pellets on top he ate everythin today and yesterday!!

ashesc212

5 Year Member

That's great that he is eating so much. I'm also happy to hear that you will be getting another red from Varnyard.

It's funny that you put the pellets in there too. I usually don't feed lizard pellets but I know that they had my iggy on a full pellet diet before I got him. Now I feed him greens and other veggies, of course, but I also put some pellets in there and he eats them as if they are a delicacy. My iggy has no class lol...jk

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

lol it was funny when i opened the top to put the food dish in he darted off then came peeking out and when he saw the food he dove right in. i remember someone on another forum stating that they add the pellets for added nutrition so i gave it a try lol! he is not too fod of the pellets i noticed and eats them last! I had to clean the cage today (he is very messy) and he pooped on me(forgot they do that lol) luckily most of it missed me and hit the floor!

ashesc212

5 Year Member

Hahaha .. he has claimed you!!! They DO seem to poop the second they come out.

ashesc212

5 Year Member

Take advantage of it to train them! I am trying to train my iggy since I know he does that. As soon as he comes out I put him on some paper towels on the floor and he goes on them. I'm trying to associate paper towels with poop so that in the future he will just go on to them like wee wee pads lol.

I know that Dave's female cuban is trained...I saw it with my very own eyes!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

well manny my green iguana has found out that the rhino iguana(i really need a name) is in the room and he is not happt about it. i took the lil guy out for some socializing and he jumped down on the floor so i allowed him to roam( i put nero in another room) he basked in nero spot for a while walked around a bit. but when manny saw him he went balistic. he started head bobbing and when the little guy stretched out under neros heat lamp (even though he seen manny up on his perch) he went crazy and rushed down off his perch. he couldnt get to the lil guy but he sure tried. he wouldnt calm down i tried to mist him and he attacked the water lol. i heard before that the two species dont get along but didnt know how true it was. im guessing he might be a male and it may have been a territorial thing. however he see nero every day and he does nothing but look no bobbing or anything he can see my other pets and the same this is a first!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

ashesc212 said:
Take advantage of it to train them! I am trying to train my iggy since I know he does that. As soon as he comes out I put him on some paper towels on the floor and he goes on them. I'm trying to associate paper towels with poop so that in the future he will just go on to them like wee wee pads lol.

I know that Dave's female cuban is trained...I saw it with my very own eyes!

i would try that but he is very flighty so i will wait til hes bigger lol guess i gotta get used to the poop huh?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced