• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino Iguana taming

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just got a hatchling rhino and was wondering if those if you with experience could give me some tips on taming. I will have had him for a week this Wednesday, so it will be time to start working with him soon.

G

wow,gratz on getting a rhino.they are very high on my lit of animals to get.im hopeful to get one before they get put on the endangered species list.iv found that the section o taming the beast works on different types of lizards.iv used it on my savy and had some success.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
most rhinos dont tend to tame down til around 2 y/o, i would encourage you to try and build trust with the lizard before handling, one thing i did with my rhino khaos was hand feeding him worms, i would place my hand in the enclosure(with the worms in my fist) then slowly open my hand, seeing the moving worms would entice him to come over, he still didnt care for me holding him but he didnt bolt to his hide when i entered the room, we were slowly building our trust. just remember it will take some time befoe he comes around and i hope this helps.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well unlike green iguanas, cycluras can have a small amount of animal protein added to their diet, just make sure you keep it very minimal, for instance i gave khaos supers, wax, mealies and horn worms once a week and a pinky mouse maybe once amonth if i didnt give himany worms

RobK.

I too have a baby Rhino igauna . I have had her two weeks and started taming her the last few days . I just retired (53) so i have plenty of time to work with her/him . I have always wanted a Rhino but did not have the time ,$$$ or space until now . I have had many reptiles over the years but the Rhino's have always been at the top of my list . Life is good !! lol .

RobK
Hyde park utah .

three days ago .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u

and this morning . you can see she's tammed down a lot in few days .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/1/2iu76-8-Fl4

RobK.

montana said:
It looks like he is taming down well ..
ike eatt
I like your set up ...

Thanks

I made the cage on a 3x8' plastic table with folding legs . She did not like eating out of a bowl for the first week . i think she was too scared .

G

I like the way you got the enclosure off the floor ..

The window well has all kinds of possibilities ...

Given any thought to a walk in ???

You could incorporate the window well ..

Have a folding chair in there and play with your Iguana .

Basements are cool all kinds of possibility...

If it was tall enough you could have birds in there too ...

RobK.

montana said:
The window well has all kinds of possibilities ...

Given any thought to a walk in ???

You could incorporate the window well ..

Have a folding chair in there and play with your Iguana .

Basements are cool all kinds of possibility...

If it was tall enough you could have birds in there too ...

I am thinking about adding a ramp to a outdoor cage in the window well . The cage was a little more $$ than i though it would be .

Table 58.00
wood , screen , screws 150.00 +/-
Plex glass 71..00
two REPTISUN 5.0 uv Bulbs @ 29.00 each
two basking bulbs @ 19.00 each
three ( short) light domes @ 10.00 each
two ( tall ) light domes @ 23.00 each for UV bulbs .
Oil filled electric heater for under the table 25.00 ( need this in N.Utah )
one 150 watt ceramic bulb @ 19.00

Draco D Tegu

here's a site you can order things at a fraction of the cost. I get all my UVB bulbs there cheaper than most pet stores.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thatpetplace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.thatpetplace.com</a><!-- w -->

hangtown530

Nice rhino...my russet rhino should be here next week. I like the fact that your spending tons of time with your ig. Who did you get him/her from?

RobK.

Draco D Tegu said:
here's a site you can order things at a fraction of the cost. I get all my UVB bulbs there cheaper than most pet stores.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thatpetplace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thatpetplace.com</a><!-- m -->

Thanks !!!

Draco D Tegu

No worries. Not sure where you are.

They have a physical store I go to to get my goodies ( note to self time to change bulbs).....They're in PA.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looks like yours is taming down alot better than mine. As soon as I open the enclosure he takes off running. Who did you get yours from?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam