• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino iguana. If you had to do it over again...

dabears51

Alright, this goes to all owners that have or have had Rhino iguanas (or all cyclura species for that matter) in their care for a while.

I've had my Rhino since last Tuesday and have pretty much left him alone so far. I only go into his enclosure to add food and water. The first day he tried everything in his power to escape. He jumped on one of the vents to see if he can fit through there. He also jumped on the backdrop in each corner as well thinking he can get out. When all of this didn't work, he retreated into his hide and didn't come out for a whole day. He started acting normal soon after that. I guess he figured he couldn't escape. lol.

The enclosure is in my livingroom so there's a lot of traffic. When he's basking, he never freaks or goes into his hide when we approach him. If I get real close all he does is stare at me and bob & **** his head. I love it when he does that! When I slide the glass door open he kinda flinches but doesn't run off. I have used some tongs to place some food right next to him and he gobbles them right up. He LOVES those Mazuri tortoise bites.

I have read that many of you like to soak their rhino in the tub every day or every other day. Do you feel that was essential in the taming process? Just yesterday I slowly tried putting my hand close to him and almost touched him til he bolted. If he doesn't allow me to touch him yet I can't imagine how long it will take to catch him. On top of that, how freaked out might he be? I'm scared to grab him and freak him out to the point where next time I slide the glass door he remembers and starts bolting in his hide. What do you guys think?

dabears51

Alright quick update. So I get a phone call from my 14 year old son a while after he got home from school and he tells me he just HAND fed my rhino! I'm so jealous! He tells me he was talking to him softly while putting his hand in the cage and the little bugger ate out of his hand a couple times.

I hang up the phone and about 30min. later my youngest son (8yr old) excitedly tells me HE just hand fed him as well. It seems my boys are having better luck interacting with MY pet! I gotta admit I'm a little envious. lol.

RobK.

dabears51 said:
Alright quick update. So I get a phone call from my 14 year old son a while after he got home from school and he tells me he just HAND fed my rhino! I'm so jealous! He tells me he was talking to him softly while putting his hand in the cage and the little bugger ate out of his hand a couple times.

I hang up the phone and about 30min. later my youngest son (8yr old) excitedly tells me HE just hand fed him as well. It seems my boys are having better luck interacting with MY pet! I gotta admit I'm a little envious. lol.

thats great !!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol I had a mean green iguana who tried to tag me every chance he got but my then 3 y/o sister he didn't so much as huff, idk he even liked her

Maro1

I have never been a fan of soaking if it means the animal has to be forced. Unless he hops on your hands and freely goes to the tub. Your just adding more stress.

Try a water pool in his cage if you want water for him.
Maro1

dabears51

Maro1 said:
I have never been a fan of soaking if it means the animal has to be forced. Unless he hops on your hands and freely goes to the tub. Your just adding more stress.

Try a water pool in his cage if you want water for him.
Maro1

I think I'll give that a shot. Just today I pet him on his front leg and the side of his head for the first time. My older boy did too but he got bit in the process. My youngest son was allowed to slide his hand under his belly and pick him up 6in. off the ground! NICE!

teguboy77

5 Year Member
This is just my opinion i really dont even mess with my rhino,cuban etc as far as holding,soaking anything for a while.I like to leave them be as far as interaction goes,i might move them to another bin to clean there cage,or sit there in front of there cage a bit after cleaning to get them use to me being in there and know im no threat.Just go nice and easy on the rhino for the first couple of months in my opinion.As far as soaking after i have them for a while i do soak mine about twice a week to keep them some what clean i see nothing wrong with it,thats just me.

RobK.

IMO , i think you just need to play it by ear , go at your iguana's pace . if he/she seems stressed back off . let them decide . That goes for holding , petting , bathing and hand feeding . I do know that with mine the minute i could hand feed him, his temperament change over night and he tamed down really fast . Like i have posted before, i started feeding him mine with a 12'' stick at 3-4 months and when he took the food/banana off the tip WITHOUT attacking it, and he took it CALMLY. I then moved down the stick closer , a little each week . soon he was eating out of my hand . then i moved my had away from his basking rock so he had to stand on my hand to reach the food , then i added my other hand between so he was standing on both my hand to reach the treat . He was being held and had no clue .LOL . Then i moved him up and down slowly and also had him walk from hand to hand . I then closely raised him higher and higher each week until he was out of his cage . now hes very tame , loves being held , eating out of my hand and. the minute i open his cage he will climb up and out onto my shoulders. Thats where he stays while i clean his cage . I spend a lot of time with mine now, holding him ,scratching him and hand feeding him . he been real tame for 6 months and is 16 months old . BUT !! i spent the first three months in his room just watching each other , i mean 3-4 hours a day . most people don't have that much time .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton

ronigreating.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced