• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptile Emotion

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is everyone's take on reptiles and emotion? Do you think they have the ability to express any? How about letting you know if they like something or don't like it? :feba

Swtbrat

5 Year Member
This is from the Herp Hacienda Library.

The Hypothalamus is the part of the brain where most of our emotions come from. All reptiles have one, so they likely have feelings. Since they cannot talk, we don't know for sure, what feelings they have beyond the most basic ones.

The most basic emotions are fear, aggression, and pleasure. Reptiles have these feelings and express them. They avoid what they fear, attack what makes them angry, and seek out what is pleasurable.

If you create an environment that is comfortable and pleasant, and you do things to your pet that make it feel comfortable and pleased, then the reptile will "like"you in the sense that good things come from you, and therefore it wants to be with you.

In general, you will know quickly, if you do something your reptile does not like: it will try to get away or even bite.

Makes sense to me.
:woot
Brat!

COWHER

5 Year Member
I think they have some emotion. not all reptiles but some. and also not all emotion just some. like I don't think they feel love. but i do think they feel trust and companionship and dislike and fear ect. yet if their babies died I don't think (i have never had the opportunity to observe this situation) that they would morn as a human or an elephant does. I think the have the capacity to have basic emotions but the more complex feelings they just don't have the type of brain for it.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I think they have emotions in a sense.. I think they just probably feel emotions in a bit of a different way than mammals.. And they probably aren't as complex in the same ways we are, emotionally. But yeah.. The simple fact that you can see them display fear show that they have some kind of emotions.

I like what you put there, Swtbrat! I just read that to my mother, 'cause she's one of those "i don't like reptiles because they don't have emotions" people.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I believe I have observed grief and anger in my reptiles. I had a pair of iguanas that were inseparable for 6 years. When the male died the female became quite depressed and remained that way for a couple of months. I also recall the first time that I went away for more than 2 days, leaving someone else to care for my animals. When I returned after 6 days Bubbles, my female Rhino, behaved as if I didn't exist. She ignored me completely, which is way out of character for her, for almost 2 weeks. Azul has shown signs of jealous feelings. He gets very aggitated when he can see me handling another lizard in his presence.

COWHER

5 Year Member
COWHER said:
If their babies died I don't think (i have never had the opportunity to observe this situation) that they would morn as a human or an elephant does..

MMRR - jif said:
I believe I have observed grief and anger in my reptiles. I had a pair of iguanas that were inseparable for 6 years. When the male died the female became quite depressed and remained that way for a couple of months.

Interesting!!! I guess some do have grief. Very cool Jane ;)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I will add to it, I think some reptiles show that they like some people, and also show they hate others. Some tegus can be real good at expressing this.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
I think all individual reptiles have a personality.
Sometimes it depends on the species but with big lizards and monitors they definately have their individual character.
So with intelligence comes emotion.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
I think all individual reptiles have a personality.
Sometimes it depends on the species but with big lizards and monitors they definately have their individual character.
So with intelligence comes emotion.

I think that is a very good point, I could not agree more.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Very true. Unfortunately only the larger species of reptiles have the complex emotions we attribute with their intelligence. That's why the biggest lizards are the best. The bigger the brain, the more emotional capability. Iguanas, monitors, tegus. Big animals, larger emotional responses, but please don't try to anthropomorphize the animals, they don't love you, nor need you, but they do reach some sort of companionship. Apollo comes to the door and wants to be picked up by me, but turns his head away from Desiree and won't sit in her hands. He tries to get to me instead

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion</a><!-- m -->

snakehandler

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
Very true. Unfortunately only the larger species of reptiles have the complex emotions we attribute with their intelligence. That's why the biggest lizards are the best. The bigger the brain, the more emotional capability. Iguanas, monitors, tegus. Big animals, larger emotional responses, but please don't try to anthropomorphize the animals, they don't love you, nor need you, but they do reach some sort of companionship. Apollo comes to the door and wants to be picked up by me, but turns his head away from Desiree and won't sit in her hands. He tries to get to me instead

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion</a><!-- m -->

And the blue tongued skinks.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
ApriliaRufo said:

And the blue tongued skinks.

Yes of course. Sorry I forgot to include BTS's. They're a strangely intelligent reptile. Different from most skinks.

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
I do think reptiles have feelings...When I whent on a trip for 4 days my mom kept calling me saying my iguana was not eating and just laying there..she said when she whent to pet or pick him up he whould either walk away or thrash at her.

But the day I got home I petted him, and he ate from my hand..

But I have even had a male green anole that has emotions..he was very tame and whould let only me hold him while he whould bite and be squirmy with other people.

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
COWHER said:
COWHER said:
If their babies died I don't think (i have never had the opportunity to observe this situation) that they would morn as a human or an elephant does..

MMRR - jif said:
I believe I have observed grief and anger in my reptiles. I had a pair of iguanas that were inseparable for 6 years. When the male died the female became quite depressed and remained that way for a couple of months.

Interesting!!! I guess some do have grief. Very cool Jane ;)

Also Cowher, I like you icon!...makes me laugh everytime I see it.LOL

dorton

5 Year Member
WhiskeyTango said:

I 2nd that, Matt, if you change the sig, I will quit the board.

Or, maybe just hassle you until it is put back up.

I personally feel that they do have emotions to a point. But they lack ability to reason.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I liked what everyone had to say. As for me, species that have the capabilty to look you right in the eye as if saying "yeah I know your there...whadda want!?" is kind of unnerving but none the less signs for intelligence.

HazyRep

5 Year Member
I had a large corn snake once that would follow me around. I took him out to a VBS(yes, I took a snake to Vacation Bible School XD) And was letting a few the kids see him and such (He was a good tempered snake, but I wasn't pushing my luck). I put him on the ground, cos he liked to slink into the grass and curl up. But instead he curled up between my feet. I decided to experiment and I walked a few feet away. He followed me and curled up again. I attempted this a few more times, even having my boyfriend (who he knew also) get between the snake and me. He still followed me and curled up in my shadow.
I've never had a snake do that before. And it made me know that he respected me as a provider. Whether for food or safety, I was in that role for him.

They don't have the "I love you" emotion, but they can know who is providing for them and who makes sure they are well taken care of. And I love to see it. In any reptile because it just proves that anyone who says they are mindless and disgusting,etc are not right.

COWHER

5 Year Member
dorton said:
WhiskeyTango said:

I personally feel that they do have emotions to a point. But they lack ability to reason.

what icon are you guys talking about?

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
COWHER said:
dorton said:
WhiskeyTango said:

what icon are you guys talking about?

I liked the "WTF" green giraffe thing. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602