• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptile Bark?

lauraj1055

I bought reptile bark for my enclosure for my new Cuban Rock Iguana I am getting. Now I'm really nervous about impaction. Is this safe?

[attachment=6049]

[attachment=6050]

Attachments

• zoo-med_repti-bark.jpg
    zoo-med_repti-bark.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 15
  • sammy.jpg
    sammy.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 14

bombadierboom

5 Year Member
You'll just need to be careful how you feed him. If he's handleable I'd suggest taking him out of his enclosure at feeding time and put him in a plastic bin or tub for feeding then putting him back in his cage. It provides a great opportunity to socialize with him, and teaches him that things that come into his cage, such as hands, aren't food. If he isn't handleable, place a tub with shallow sides into the enclosure for feeding, that way he has to climb into it to eat, and not bringing reptibark in with him. Then just remove it when he is done.

lauraj1055

bombadierboom said:
You'll just need to be careful how you feed him. If he's handleable I'd suggest taking him out of his enclosure at feeding time and put him in a plastic bin or tub for feeding then putting him back in his cage. It provides a great opportunity to socialize with him, and teaches him that things that come into his cage, such as hands, aren't food. If he isn't handleable, place a tub with shallow sides into the enclosure for feeding, that way he has to climb into it to eat, and not bringing reptibark in with him. Then just remove it when he is done.

Thank you! I bought him a pretty big bowl for his greens. I was also told that they don't need much protein at all, so I was planning on a few dubia once a week. I have collard, mustard, turnip, and dandelion greens. Also butternut squash and green beans. I am getting him Friday so I am trying to learn all I can. There's not a lot of info on them out there. I know to give him calcium on his greens daily. I am an expert with bearded dragons, and am looking forward to being an expert with him. I think he is well socialized already.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No substrate is what most iguana keepers go with. I have done it both ways and prefer no substrate as well.

I would not feed dubias at all, greens and fruits are all they need. Calcium on everything.

lauraj1055

james.w said:
No substrate is what most iguana keepers go with. I have done it both ways and prefer no substrate as well.

I would not feed dubias at all, greens and fruits are all they need. Calcium on everything.

Thank you so much for the information. I am very nervous using any kind of loose substrate. I just needed it for humidity. I will see how it goes, and keep a close eye on him or her.

Also, do I use calcium with D3 or without? I have a Reptisun 10.0 I am using.

bombadierboom

5 Year Member
Yeah I keep most of my animals with no substrate but for humidity for animals that need a lot it works great, ReptiBark won't hold moisture as log as something like cypress mulch but I personally like the "natural" look to dark substrates.

Sirhc401

great info here. I used ReptiBark for substrate in the past but switched to plastic mat for easy mess clean up and because my tegu decided he would just eat a piece of bark for no reason. even feeding outside of his cage. so i would say impaction is always a risk just keep an eye on your lizards droppings to see if it has been eating anything it cant digest well

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I personally do not like repti bark, it heats up way to fast, splinters, its dusty. I just hate it and had an all around bad experience with it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602