• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Ackie or Savannah Monitor?

casey15

I have a HUGE cage large enough for either one. I'm looking for one that is easy to tame and doesn't mind being handled. Temperment and personality wise would you suggest an Ackie or a Savannah. I've researched both for a long long time but I just can't decide. What are pros and cons of each.

thanks!

Lunaire

casey15 said:
I have a HUGE cage large enough for either one. I'm looking for one that is easy to tame and doesn't mind being handled. Temperment and personality wise would you suggest an Ackie or a Savannah. I've researched both for a long long time but I just can't decide. What are pros and cons of each.

thanks!

I don't own either of them but this is what I know:

Ackies
Pros:
1) SMALL :)
2) They are very social and can live in groups; most people get them in pairs or trios which makes them very interesting to watch.
3) At their size; albeit easier to handle. If you had to take time to tame one over a long period, you won't be wrestling a large monitor.
4) I know this is odd but; smaller amounts of waste/poop/pee. I know people who have given up larger pets due to the care needed to clean up their large messy waste all over the place (on carpet floors etc.) It could mean the difference from one paper towel swipe and disinfect, or running to grab a whole roll or a towel. From the sounds of it, I assume you will be taking out your monitors regularly.
5) They are very active; that could be a pro or con. Fun to watch.
6) Colors! I absolutely adore red ackies, although yellow are pretty as well!
7) Last but not least and absolutely one of the most important things to note: CAPTIVE BRED. It is illegal to import Ackies from Australia, thus most Ackies you find available now are CBB from breeders. With a wild caught reptile, I will suggest bringing it to a vet asap as they are notorious for carrying parasites (that will spread to your other pets) or mites etc. Also, wild caught reptiles tend to be more difficult to tame.
Cons:
... I can't think of any! I suppose if you would prefer a larger monitor, the Ackie is not for you.

Savannah
Pros:
1) If you want a BIG reptile to lug around or walk on a leash (assuming your individual Savannah has the temperament for it), then a Savannah is an awesome looking big lizard. :)
2) I would think that the Savannah, like the tegu, feels very rewarding when you manage to tame such a large powerful and beautiful animal.

It is not that the Ackies beats the Savannah in pros, there are just some individual characteristics to Ackies that I could point out (sociability in groups, colors, captivity etc). I love Savannahs too! I'm not biased to either.

Cons: (I use this term lightly... just some things to note.)
1) Space. You will need space for this monitor. Preferably let it romp around your house often under supervision.
2) Expenses. With a larger animal, you will need more substrate, more food to feed, more heat lamps, bigger cage etc.
3) Wild Caught. A lot of Savannahs are unfortunately, wild-caught. Which is why you see so many cheap Savannah babies out there. :( I believe everyone who would like to adopt a Savannah monitor should read this, just to be informed: Savannah Monitor.org
4) With wild caughts, remember to quarantine and schedule a vet visit. You will want to feed your savannah medication to get rid of parasites etc and ensure proper growth.
5) And ofcourse, the larger poop/pee to deal with.

Otherwise, temperament and personality (just like the word suggests), it really depends on the individual reptile; whether it is wild-caught or captive bred, how it is raised, it's own personality. Some Ackies just want to run around, some may be more tolerant to sit in your hand. Some Savannahs will not want to be disturbed, some Savannahs can be taken for walks. So temperament and personality for these two shouldn't be what helps you make a decision as both can be tamed down from when they first arrive (with their own individual temperaments being a factor.)

Ultimately, it should be which "style" of care would suit you better. Would you rather look after something smaller or something larger etc.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
How large is your very large cage? Savannah monitors need at the very least a 6 foot cage although 8 would be better. Both these species also need a lot of substrate, high heat, and large quantities of food. All these are factors to be considered. Ackies are highly social, and you would be well advised to get multiple if you choose them. Holding them is probably not a good idea, as they are very active and in my experience don't enjoy it. Savannahs are way more laid back and larger, and are more "pet" like monitors. Totally different animals though, and you need to figure out what you want from the animal before you decide.

casey15

TegusRawsome80 said:
How large is your very large cage? Savannah monitors need at the very least a 6 foot cage although 8 would be better. Both these species also need a lot of substrate, high heat, and large quantities of food. All these are factors to be considered. Ackies are highly social, and you would be well advised to get multiple if you choose them. Holding them is probably not a good idea, as they are very active and in my experience don't enjoy it. Savannahs are way more laid back and larger, and are more "pet" like monitors. Totally different animals though, and you need to figure out what you want from the animal before you decide.

The cage is 10 feet high, 10 feet wide and 10 feet deep, it was custom built and is on wheels

Lunaire said:
casey15 said:

thanks!

I don't own either of them but this is what I know:

Ackies
Pros:
1) SMALL :)
2) They are very social and can live in groups; most people get them in pairs or trios which makes them very interesting to watch.
3) At their size; albeit easier to handle. If you had to take time to tame one over a long period, you won't be wrestling a large monitor.
4) I know this is odd but; smaller amounts of waste/poop/pee. I know people who have given up larger pets due to the care needed to clean up their large messy waste all over the place (on carpet floors etc.) It could mean the difference from one paper towel swipe and disinfect, or running to grab a whole roll or a towel. From the sounds of it, I assume you will be taking out your monitors regularly.
5) They are very active; that could be a pro or con. Fun to watch.
6) Colors! I absolutely adore red ackies, although yellow are pretty as well!
7) Last but not least and absolutely one of the most important things to note: CAPTIVE BRED. It is illegal to import Ackies from Australia, thus most Ackies you find available now are CBB from breeders. With a wild caught reptile, I will suggest bringing it to a vet asap as they are notorious for carrying parasites (that will spread to your other pets) or mites etc. Also, wild caught reptiles tend to be more difficult to tame.
Cons:
... I can't think of any! I suppose if you would prefer a larger monitor, the Ackie is not for you.

Savannah
Pros:
1) If you want a BIG reptile to lug around or walk on a leash (assuming your individual Savannah has the temperament for it), then a Savannah is an awesome looking big lizard. :)
2) I would think that the Savannah, like the tegu, feels very rewarding when you manage to tame such a large powerful and beautiful animal.

It is not that the Ackies beats the Savannah in pros, there are just some individual characteristics to Ackies that I could point out (sociability in groups, colors, captivity etc). I love Savannahs too! I'm not biased to either.

Cons: (I use this term lightly... just some things to note.)
1) Space. You will need space for this monitor. Preferably let it romp around your house often under supervision.
2) Expenses. With a larger animal, you will need more substrate, more food to feed, more heat lamps, bigger cage etc.
3) Wild Caught. A lot of Savannahs are unfortunately, wild-caught. Which is why you see so many cheap Savannah babies out there. :( I believe everyone who would like to adopt a Savannah monitor should read this, just to be informed: Savannah Monitor.org
4) With wild caughts, remember to quarantine and schedule a vet visit. You will want to feed your savannah medication to get rid of parasites etc and ensure proper growth.
5) And ofcourse, the larger poop/pee to deal with.

Otherwise, temperament and personality (just like the word suggests), it really depends on the individual reptile; whether it is wild-caught or captive bred, how it is raised, it's own personality. Some Ackies just want to run around, some may be more tolerant to sit in your hand. Some Savannahs will not want to be disturbed, some Savannahs can be taken for walks. So temperament and personality for these two shouldn't be what helps you make a decision as both can be tamed down from when they first arrive (with their own individual temperaments being a factor.)

Ultimately, it should be which "style" of care would suit you better. Would you rather look after something smaller or something larger etc.

Thank you so much, yeah I would call them "unique quirks" more than cons! I've decided to get the Savannah Monitor, the cage I have is 10x10x10(feet). I'm going to look for a CBB one but take it to the vet for a check up right away. A reptile vet lives 20 min. from my house(luck or what?!)

I don't care about the mess, with big animals comes big poop. I have 2 dogs, and a cockatiel(messy messy little guy). I don't like cleaning up poop but no one likes it! I don't mind though, I'm prepared. THis might be a weird question but how big is a Savannah's poop? Is it around the same size of a 90+ pound dog's?

Any recomendations on where to get the Savannah, I've found a few places but am looking for more info.

Lunaire

casey15 said:
Thank you so much, yeah I would call them "unique quirks" more than cons! I've decided to get the Savannah Monitor, the cage I have is 10x10x10(feet). I'm going to look for a CBB one but take it to the vet for a check up right away. A reptile vet lives 20 min. from my house(luck or what?!)

I don't care about the mess, with big animals comes big poop. I have 2 dogs, and a cockatiel(messy messy little guy). I don't like cleaning up poop but no one likes it! I don't mind though, I'm prepared. THis might be a weird question but how big is a Savannah's poop? Is it around the same size of a 90+ pound dog's?

Any recomendations on where to get the Savannah, I've found a few places but am looking for more info.

You're most welcome! I didn't realize you already had a cage, with a large cage like that, I would definitely go for the Savannah. :) Congratulations on your decision.

As for the poop, here are a couple youtube videos that will give you an idea:
Savannah pooping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgrdkTmhVYQ
Tegu pooping (I know... not a Savannah. But this one is in a bathtub, so should you decide to put your Savannah in a bathtub, hope this helps.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_71NM2S9NA

I would say try Kingsnake and Fauna Classifieds. I have seen CBB labeled Savannahs go up on both sites now and then. Ofcourse, sometimes people may lie about that but seeing as you will be taking your Savannah to the vet for a checkup asap, you should be fine.

Best of luck! And do share with us when you get your new Savannah!

casey15

Lunaire said:
casey15 said:

You're most welcome! I didn't realize you already had a cage, with a large cage like that, I would definitely go for the Savannah. :) Congratulations on your decision.

Tegu pooping (I know... not a Savannah. But this one is in a bathtub, so should you decide to put your Savannah in a bathtub, hope this helps.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_71NM2S9NA

I would say try Kingsnake and Fauna Classifieds. I have seen CBB labeled Savannahs go up on both sites now and then. Ofcourse, sometimes people may lie about that but seeing as you will be taking your Savannah to the vet for a checkup asap, you should be fine.

Thanks I will! Might be a while though, I have the cage but need to set up habitat/lights. Want to get all that done before I bring him home. I'll keep you updated, I'm already drawing up a sketch for what to put inside the cage. I was going to use a diggable soil as substrate, the cage already has carpet on the bottom but I'd just put dirt over.

savs
pros
blue dots if unstressed
less expensive
once tame love you
good eaters
cons
huge
very brutal if they arent tame
terrible bite pain

never had ackies but i never had an interest in them

casey15

Lunaire said:
casey15 said:

Wow that is huge poop! Looks like my birds but WAY bigger. I'm not concerned, I have dogs, one a 94 pound lab, about same size "business". Just hope he doesn't poop on my mom's carpet lol

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you post some pics of the cage? 10' height is going to pose some problems. Get rid of the carpet.

Muath Adil Alnaimi

Hello all of the stuff that I read were very helpful, since I live In a very hot country (Oman) we have insane temperatures outside, reaching 53 in the summer, so we have a dog we put her outside and she loves it, I am hoping to get a savannah soon, but I don’t have enough room for the adult enclosure, so I want to see if I can put the savannah monitor outside (free roaming) with my dog, and after a little research I found out that they can be introduced to dogs and can be kept with the, but I’m afraid my dog will maybe injure or kill the savannah monitor or maybe even the opposite, and I want some feedback to know if I can or not, thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980