• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rabbit pen for enclosure?

Bram040

Hey guys, i was looking for an enclosure for my golden tegu wich is growing like weeds, and i was looking at rabbit/chicken pens, there fairly big and kinda cheap and look better then growtents.
And should be easy enough to modify for a tegu like replace iron bars with plexyglass or something. And build a wooden frame under it for substrate put lights in it. And it should be fairly easy to upgrade in the future ( like adding other sections to it)
Im findin it easyer to modify something then to build something from scratch
Now i get complete frame with working doors and stuff

Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there maybe problems with the kind of wood that is used normaly for those pens idk?
I live in holland so humidity is always 50%+ like 60-70% on average so that shouldnt be a problem

Last edited:

Bram040

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191015-174359_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191015-174359_Samsung Internet.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20191015-184748_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191015-184748_Samsung Internet.jpg
    891.9 KB · Views: 43

Bram040

Haha i will use them indoor. Ill Make a deep wooden box under it for the substrate and maybe modify the egg laying part of the pen (small box on the side) into some sort of pool for him maybe replace the steel wire screens for glass or plexiglass if humidity shows to be a problem

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think I'd personally just put substrate in the actual house bit, maybe placing a board behind the bottom of the door so you can go deeper without pulling it all out every time you opened it. you can spot clean the main floor easily then and if its on carpet line it with something you can wipe.... I believe I read somewhere that pine is poisonous but don't quote me on that as I'm not 100%......... Like I said though paint with a good varnish over or lining it will prevent this.

bocacash

5 Year Member
If you are successful in using/converting one of the houses shown in your pix...I would not call it a Tegu house but, a Tegu PALACE !
Good luck and let us know your choice(s), progress, and final results !)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced