• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question (closes eyes when holding)

Nikki Gregory

Hello it’s me again :/ sorry I ask a lot of questions I just want to know from experienced tegu moms and dads rather than just the internet ‍♀️ Anyways is it a good thing when I’m holding Diesel and he closes his eyes? Or is he just trying to get me to go away? ( I read that somewhere )

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Among adults or sub-adults, it's contentment. Don't know for sure about juveniles. Could see it meaning eithe joy or fear.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You'd think, but stressed green iguanas will often close their eyes with othe body language thAt's different from closed-eye contentment.

TripleTegus

You'd think, but stressed green iguanas will often close their eyes with othe body language thAt's different from closed-eye contentment.
Well that's good to know for sure. Always something to keep in mind is reading body language since the animals can't actually tell you what's going on with them.

Merlot

Personally I like to think the contentment side of it. Most animals don't close their eyes if they're scared something is trying to get them. At least that's how it works in my head anyways.
Lol unless they’re like m, “shh, I’m closing my eyes maybe they don’t see me right now” (*initiate cloak)
Lol but usually I take it as being happy and calm. Unless you’re trying to hand feed them something then they close their eyes to tell you heck na I don’t want that. My little punk has been quite picky lately I will say, closing his eyes on food he would normally Chomp up. But I have been varying his diet lately a lot for some variety and maybe he’s just liking the other stuff more and is spoiled

Leonor

Hello it’s me again :/ sorry I ask a lot of questions I just want to know from experienced tegu moms and dads rather than just the internet ‍♀️ Anyways is it a good thing when I’m holding Diesel and he closes his eyes? Or is he just trying to get me to go away? ( I read that somewhere )
Hi, Nikki! At least my boy, Luciano, closes his eyes when I pick him up, when I hold him, or when he is in the bath... and he looks happy! When he was younger he would fight when I tried to hold him. Not anymore!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
He loves you. He trusts you. My male is finally chill after 2 yrs of catering to him. What a gigantic monster he used to be.... there was not much eye closure in the early days. Ha!...quite the opposite. Now - he calms down (breathes deep), and closes his eyes every time he sees me.

I'm still careful and respectful of his body language though. There's no way he is that laid back when he's in season, or when he's shedding. My female is a peach, and only rarely shows that raised back when I walk up on her or she's caught off-guard.

Last edited:

Nikki Gregory

I appreciate EVERYONES comments! I believe he trusts me to an extent. He still gets a little upset when I try to get him up out of his cage but it’s definitely a lot easier this last week!! I just put my hand in and he runs away from it for a second but once I have my hand in front of him and he smells it he starts crawling right up! I never thought there would be the day! Lol. Progress!! :)

James Smith

It could mean annoyed or contentment. When they are annoyed they would close their eyes hoping you are gone when they open their eyes. More time spent with them they will become more accustomed to you and their eyes will close because of contentment. A rule I use is the position of their front legs and if they are fully relax. Look at if their front leg is curled under. This is a relax position or if their front legs are spread out. Regardless just dont pay attention to their eyes being closed or not. Look at their whole body language.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It could mean annoyed or contentment. When they are annoyed they would close their eyes hoping you are gone when they open their eyes. More time spent with them they will become more accustomed to you and their eyes will close because of contentment. A rule I use is the position of their front legs and if they are fully relax. Look at if their front leg is curled under. This is a relax position or if their front legs are spread out. Regardless just dont pay attention to their eyes being closed or not. Look at their whole body language.
Exactly. Stiff-armed and rigid means stressed. The whole body collapsed or mostly with head raised if you're scratching indicates a relaxed tegu.

TripleTegus

Yes there are definitely other signs to look for as well as just the eyes closed. I was speaking more in the generally range closing eyes usually means contentment. But definitely need to keep an eye on other signs of body language.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
We've had many members question their Tegus unusual behavior as they go through their sub-adult phase too. So don't be surprised if your baby starts treating you like an ungrateful teen at some point. They're just being full of themselves. My male was worse than my female. (waaay)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced