• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Put it to a vote??

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi guys I have a 20" ish gold tegu ..... Now as a rule I haven`t being letting him/her out as when I first got it ,He/her escaped and just went from pillar to post hiding and was tricky to keep tabs on and I was scared of loosing him/her and didn`t want to be continuesly chasing it around.. but after 4 weeks of training solely in the viv I can now get pretty close without it freaking out and has become very inquisitive of his/her surroundings... Now yesterday it escaped once more (I straight away thought aww ****....lol) but after leaving him/her alone it proceeded to investigate the room and then once ready dashed back in his/her viv....

just a little bit of background.....Now my question is....

would you continue just training in viv until I can pic him/her up at ease??

OR

would you let him/her out to investigate the suroundings and me at his/her own leisure??

dpjm

5 Year Member
I'd wait unit you can pick it up without stress. Then when you do take it out it will be more likely to explore rather than just dash, because it won't be under stress of being picked up.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for your input.....That was my thoughts from the start to get it used to me in its own surroundings before I try in mine which is alot bigger and if I did have to catch him/her it could really scare it and I could take several steps backwards....

Does anyone one have an opposite responce??

beantickler

I went a different route... I had a spare room that was empty so I used it to let my Tegu just roam around and explore. He would just walk around avoiding me sitting on the floor and he eventually walked up to me and then climbed onto my head... It was love from then on...

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for that.... After he/she got out yesterday although I don`t have him/her in a spare room ...I wondered if I tidied out a little and reduced the amount of hiding places and also only let him/her out when it was quiet with me having a good few hour to spare whether this may be the route to take.

I`m so indecisive.....lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd wait unit you can pick it up without stress. Then when you do take it out it will be more likely to explore rather than just dash, because it won't be under stress of being picked up.
I agree. Some more trust and positive assiciation in viv. Maybe can provide a portable hide in free range in case he gets frightened down the road he can make for the retreat which can be lefted and placed into the viv.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was actually thinking to move him/her via a hive/box into a room with much less hiding places so he has to aknowledge me and his suroundings a bit better but leaving the hive down for security....I`m also still spending loads of time talking to him/her and invading the viv to get it used to me being around without always chasing or freaking him/her out.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I actually teased AlphaAlpha into a box/hide today and took him to a room I had emptied down to as minimalimistic as posible with just a couple of hiding places for him/her to feel safe..... This went really well and I feel I`ve made the most progress today.....AA was a lot calmer and more investigative to both me and his surroundings, AA also didn`t spend anytime at all in any of the hides and kept coming up close to me on his/her own merit which allowed me to touch and pick him/her up with little fuss on a good few occasions...... I`ve decided this is the way forward for us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced