• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Prolapse?

Mich lady

my male tegu roman woke up at 4 am this morning. He took a large poop. Then he kept wandering around his enclosure looking like he was straining to poop again. It looked like a large pinkish mass was coming out of his vent. I assume this is a prolapse? He was very uncomfortable, running around dragging his back end across the substrate. I put him in warm water bath and gently coaxed the prolapse back in. Is this common? Does he need to see the vet? He seems ok now.since I put him in the tub.

Jayne Warren

5 Year Member
my male tegu roman woke up at 4 am this morning. He took a large poop. Then he kept wandering around his enclosure looking like he was straining to poop again. It looked like a large pinkish mass was coming out of his vent. I assume this is a prolapse? He was very uncomfortable, running around dragging his back end across the substrate. I put him in warm water bath and gently coaxed the prolapse back in. Is this common? Does he need to see the vet? He seems ok now.since I put him in the tub.
Sounds more like his hemipenes, which will go back on their own accord

Dylan koch

Could if been either hemipiens or prolapsed cloaca either way monitor it and check daily or multiple times daily. If it doesnt go back in after a soak use non spermicide lube to coat it and gently push back in. Very common but make sure it doesnt go back in dirty. And if it goes on over a week I'd go to vet.

Dylan koch

Could be clogged also watch for weight loss and appetite change. If your gu is clogged you can use warm sugar water bath and gently massage stomach area downward towards cloaca to help poop while prolapsed then do what I said to put it back. Do for a few days if no change a vet visit is in order. Just my experience with mine when it happened. Mine had a clog and I had helped her pass it. But also always feed outside of enclosure so they dont eat substrate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam