• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potty Training?

My son did it with his black tegu. They are smart! Train a baby tegu greatly by using his own inquisitiveness against him of her. My baby was a little green in color and in 2 weeks i had him loading on my shoulder and dismounting by his self after our walk, never touching him. My videos are online.

Leezard

5 Year Member
I heard on a thread of this guy potty training his tegu how would I do the same?
Taking him out of his cage onto a bathroom floor or somewhere you can consistently go and waiting for him to use the bathroom and not letting him leave till he has is what helped us potty train. We feed him after he does his business to bring positive association with pooping outside of his cage. If that doesn't work, try putting a warm bin of water near his heat source so that he may go in there and relieve himself without your interference. Only downside is stinky poop water that has to be changed every time they use it

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Those are all good ideas - they really don't want to soil their enclosure, but without choice, they will. (Kind of like dogs where they'll go as far out as they can or pick a spot where it's not in their space.) One trick I have used to encourage going is trickling water in their very warm bath. Seems to trigger a response about 90% of the time for me.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Those are all good ideas - they really don't want to soil their enclosure, but without choice, they will. (Kind of like dogs where they'll go as far out as they can or pick a spot where it's not in their space.) One trick I have used to encourage going is trickling water in their very warm bath. Seems to trigger a response about 90% of the time for me.
Interesting.

Taking him out of his cage onto a bathroom floor or somewhere you can consistently go and waiting for him to use the bathroom and not letting him leave till he has is what helped us potty train. We feed him after he does his business to bring positive association with pooping outside of his cage. If that doesn't work, try putting a warm bin of water near his heat source so that he may go in there and relieve himself without your interference. Only downside is stinky poop water that has to be changed every time they use it
It's a very long process of moving his feces graduating it to a piece of carpet start lacing the carpet with cat litter making sure all his feces and urine make it on there but keeping it sanitary so the scent is there. Did you know you're Tegu is best trained by ignoring it! But you must be close, your tegu will not have that!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced