• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potential impaction with substrate.. please help.

Ted

My tegu may be impacted. I used coco Blox in his substrate and, sometimes he'd eat them. The day I changed it, (3 days ago) with coconut coir. He ate one and has been unable to poop it out. He's not eating as of today but drinking water. I'm trying to figure things out and, I dont know how close I am to a certified vet for this kind of thing.

Ted

How old is he?
Hes about a year old now. And, it seems pretty mild to severe He's been refusing solid foods 6/7 days of the week, I've been feeding him repashy mixed with mineral oil and a tiny bit of extra calcium powder, followed with baths every other day.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
My male had a severe impaction, and he was around 2 yrs old. I removed it myself eventually, because he was getting very ill. His tongue had turned a gray color - which happened when he stopped eating or drinking anything. I gently removed it by going into his vent and pulling out the urates that were backed up in his system. I did this with my index finger about 3 different times while he was in the bath over a 3 day period. It's not for everybody, but I didn't have a Vet to go to and I'm not one to get squeamish. It took him a good 3 weeks to recover - tongue a pretty pink again - and eating like a Tegu should. Funny thing about that - he's never been aggressive to me since that time. I think he knew exactly what was going on.

When he was in the tub, I also massaged his stomach and upper vent area that triggered a reaction for him to go. He was unable to make anything happen, but maybe yours isn't that bad. "Skully" strained and strained with no result. That was when I knew I had to do something. Inside the vent is a cavern that was about as long as my finger. The urates were at the top, or end of that cavern. I was able to kind of pry them away from the blockage and pull them out of him. I had no trouble getting into the vent - he didn't even resist much, but I just wanted you to know that the blockage was 3 inches into his body. That's how it went for me. Good luck - I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Also - my hands aren't small hands for a woman.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam