• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Please help! Tegu hurting nose on enclosure top

Keiko_Blue

Hello! I really need help figuring out what to do with my tegu’s enclosure. The top is similar to chicken wire. That is where I have his lamps sitting on top of, but he knows the lid opens and that is how he is let out. Because of this, he jumps up and scrapes his nose on the top. I cannot think of anything to help solve this problem.. I can’t leave the top open because he will jump out. I can’t even leave a single bit of the chicken wire exposed because he sees it as a way out. I cannot cover the whole top from the inside because the lamps light/heat need to reach him. Does anyone have any ideas? I wanted to have a nice enclosure for him, but it seems like it is backfiring :(

I’ll attach pics of the enclosure

1FBBE91C-9AB3-4C70-AEC1-9EEFF68D638F.jpeg
33A814A1-0432-403E-A26C-BFD39F2EA97E.jpeg
A520B4F0-EE54-4D00-A933-9EAC8BB3C177.jpeg
FA4BB2B0-E88F-4EEB-AE88-CE2D503777EA.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If his nose scratching is restricted to one area, fit a piece of plexiglass underneathe the chicken wire.

Keiko_Blue

If his nose scratching is restricted to one area, fit a piece of plexiglass underneathe the chicken wire.

If I sit the lamp on top of the chicken wire where the plexiglass is, will it melt it? I assume it has to get very hot to do so, but I don’t want to risk anything before purchasing it :)

Thank you!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No way would I place the light on plexi. I was thinking that it's a particular corner he likes that is independent of the location of the light. Did I misunderstand?

Let's say even 2/3 of the tank top must be plexi-glass-covered, you still have area for light; however, heat build up could be a problem.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How long as the Tegu been in the enclosure???

cause in my eyes wait it out no animal will continuously injure its self if its not getting what it wants from it.

So stop him escaping and grit your teeth for a week or two.

Keiko_Blue

How long as the Tegu been in the enclosure???

cause in my eyes wait it out no animal will continuously injure its self if its not getting what it wants from it.

So stop him escaping and grit your teeth for a week or two.
He’s been in this enclosure since the beginning of the year and still doesnt like being in it unfortunately.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Did you ever come up with a solution? My little 3 month old guy is doing the same exact thing. Jumping at her light bulb and hitting the screen top. Shes even injured her nose doing it constantly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny