1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help! Tegu hurting nose on enclosure top

Discussion in 'Tegu Enclosures' started by Keiko_Blue, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Keiko_Blue

Keiko_Blue New Member

Hello! I really need help figuring out what to do with my tegu’s enclosure. The top is similar to chicken wire. That is where I have his lamps sitting on top of, but he knows the lid opens and that is how he is let out. Because of this, he jumps up and scrapes his nose on the top. I cannot think of anything to help solve this problem.. I can’t leave the top open because he will jump out. I can’t even leave a single bit of the chicken wire exposed because he sees it as a way out. I cannot cover the whole top from the inside because the lamps light/heat need to reach him. Does anyone have any ideas? I wanted to have a nice enclosure for him, but it seems like it is backfiring :(

I’ll attach pics of the enclosure

1FBBE91C-9AB3-4C70-AEC1-9EEFF68D638F.jpeg 33A814A1-0432-403E-A26C-BFD39F2EA97E.jpeg A520B4F0-EE54-4D00-A933-9EAC8BB3C177.jpeg FA4BB2B0-E88F-4EEB-AE88-CE2D503777EA.jpeg
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club 5 Year Member

If his nose scratching is restricted to one area, fit a piece of plexiglass underneathe the chicken wire.
  3. Keiko_Blue

Keiko_Blue New Member

If I sit the lamp on top of the chicken wire where the plexiglass is, will it melt it? I assume it has to get very hot to do so, but I don’t want to risk anything before purchasing it :)

Thank you!
  4. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club 5 Year Member

No way would I place the light on plexi. I was thinking that it's a particular corner he likes that is independent of the location of the light. Did I misunderstand?

Let's say even 2/3 of the tank top must be plexi-glass-covered, you still have area for light; however, heat build up could be a problem.
  5. onnie0047

onnie0047 Member

Besides the heat, you would greatly reduce the UVB AND UVA RAYS to almost nil by placing plexiglas between the light and Tegu
    Walter1 likes this.
  6. bocacash

bocacash Member 5 Year Member

Expensive...but I would suggest you purchase/build an environment with side openings. Reaching in from above is not best for the tegu anyway...their predators usually come from above. Good luck !
    Walter1 likes this.
  7. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Well-Known Member

How long as the Tegu been in the enclosure???

cause in my eyes wait it out no animal will continuously injure its self if its not getting what it wants from it.

So stop him escaping and grit your teeth for a week or two.