• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pittsburgh PA July 12th

GraphiK

5 Year Member
Anyone else attending? I'm really hoping to pick up my first tegu at this show! Knowing my luck there won't be any for sale though :lol:

More info:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/pghreptileshow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.freewebs.com/pghreptileshow/</a><!-- m -->

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The Tegu's you'll probably see there would be imports left over from early this year, having been feed just enough to keep them alive and small. Bobby's have been hatching and I don't know if many have made it into the wholesale chain yet.

You would be best to buy one direct from Bobby and not take your chances with what you find at a show. http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/

GraphiK

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice Dave! Think there will be enclosure for sale there? If there are any tegus is there a tell tale sign if they are young and healthy or if they are as you have described? I would just prefer to able to see the creature I am buying before going through with the purchase, though I would hate to by a reptile of any kind that is unhealthy or mistreated.

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
Listen to Dave. If you ask 100 people where to get a healthy tegu you will be told 100 time Varnyard Herps. I looked for two years. Never considered any tegu but Bobby's after asking where the best tegus came from in a different forum. You will be settling for a lesser animal if you go elsewhere. I would even wait til next year if I had to.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
GraphiK said:
Thanks for the advice Dave! Think there will be enclosure for sale there? If there are any tegus is there a tell tale sign if they are young and healthy or if they are as you have described? I would just prefer to able to see the creature I am buying before going through with the purchase, though I would hate to by a reptile of any kind that is unhealthy or mistreated.
You can start a hatchling in a 40G tank but it'll only last maybe 6 months. MaxPet usually brings 1 or 2 so you'll have to grab it quick! Don't forget to get a MVB for UVB, a 100W PwerSun would be good but you will need an elevated basking platform (about 6") to get the right temps.

A healthy Tegu isn't skinny. Take a look for some pics around here. You can't go wrong buying a Tegu from Bobby. He's only got a few B&W's or Reds left.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
resist the temptation!! seriously, Bobby has been doing this a long time and you can trust buying an animal from him before you see it. i also did A LOT of looking at tegus (2 years) before i decided on where to get one and what kind. Varnyard is the way to go in the world of tegus. mine should be hatching any day now!

GraphiK

5 Year Member
Just got off the phone with Bobby, ordering my extreme giant monday! :D Thanks for all the help everyone! Hopefully I can find a cheap 40 gal breeder at the show sunday, it would be even better if I could find a 8x4 enclosure for sale, save me the time in building one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced