• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Outdoor Enclosure: Potential Issues

Corvus

Hey guys! I hope this is the right forum-- I figured since this isn't exactly about an enclosure specifically it would fit better in the general discussion.

My question is, is a year-round outdoor enclosure possible. I live in central North Carolina, so of course there would be a heated living space for winter (probably 8x4, maybe a bit larger.) I would also have an outdoor "run" area for it to bask and exercise in during the warmer months.

Does anyone see any issues with this? I had asked somewhere else, and one concern that came up was being able to tame the tegu since it wouldn't have the benefit of seeing me throughout the day. Do you think it would be much of a problem? How much time would I need to spend with it every day to ensure it is tame? While I have no problem with display-only pets, I'd much rather have a tame tegu.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The more time around them, the better, but also the right kind of time. By this, I mean they can do great with you with them being outside.

Be careful. A recent paper of mine looking at isotherms shows that this temperate beast can succeed as far north as nearly the Tennessee border. So, for security, treat it as a maximum security prison. They are luke a T. rex if they escape.

Corvus

Thank you for your reply! If I do end up going that route, I'll be sure to make it very secure, both for its safety and everyone elses. I'd hate to recreate a scene from Jurassic Park :p
Besides, I'd hate for a dog to get in (it wouldn't be the first time a neighbor's dog jumped a fence...)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you for your reply! If I do end up going that route, I'll be sure to make it very secure, both for its safety and everyone elses. I'd hate to recreate a scene from Jurassic Park :p
Besides, I'd hate for a dog to get in (it wouldn't be the first time a neighbor's dog jumped a fence...)
You're a responsible sort, no doubt.

Corvus

Thank you : )

I've only been in the hobby for ..four? years, but I think I've come a long way since when I first started. I've been wanting to try a reptile that's a bit more of a challenge. Whether or not it'll be a tegu remains to be seen.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
The more time around them, the better, but also the right kind of time. By this, I mean they can do great with you with them being outside.

Be careful. A recent paper of mine looking at isotherms shows that this temperate beast can succeed as far north as nearly the Tennessee border. So, for security, treat it as a maximum security prison. They are luke a T. rex if they escape.

@Walter1 - that's amazing. I lived in Northern Alabama for 2 decades, and it snows in Huntsville!!! (Just 15 mins south of the Tennessee border). And, I have several friends that think I've lost my mind, and that I already own a pair of T. Rex's. The look on their faces when I bring out the big boy is priceless. I've had people run out of the room - hands flailing. No joke.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, if you're inclined to scare them already, adding this to your repertoire might bring the final curtain. :tegu:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced