• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

WaterRaven

Hey everyone, so, I work at night and generally pass out right around the time my tegu wakes up. Tabuccca used to be up twice a day when we first got her, so my husband would see her in the morning and then I would see her in the afternoon, however, since she turned 3, she's only been up in the mornings.

She's up for a couple of hours and then sleeps all day. I checked her temps, they're all good. She's eating and pooping, all is well there, but I'm her primary caregiver. I feed her and take her out etc.

From what I've read online, a lot of large lizard owners say don't wake them up, don't bother them in their hide etc. I don't want to ruin trust with her, but I want to spend time with her. As it is, I stay up till she's up, put her in the tub, feed her, and put her away so I can go to bed. This is not the ideal relationship and it's totally bumming me out.

Do you think it would be ok for me to wake her up and take her out? To try to get her back into waking up in the afternoon for food and out time or would that be a bad idea?

Thank you for your time!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, the typical daily activity pattern is major activity in the morning that will vary in gegin and endctime depending on temps and season. Often follwed by a smaller peak earl-mid-afternoon.

For example, maybe10-2 in April and May.

9-11 and 2-3 in July.

A few times a week wakening her is OK. However, begin the practice of telling her so as you approach, so she hears you say the same things associated with waking her up. Pick her up gently but deliberately from belly and sides only.

WaterRaven

Well, the typical daily activity pattern is major activity in the morning that will vary in gegin and endctime depending on temps and season. Often follwed by a smaller peak earl-mid-afternoon.

For example, maybe10-2 in April and May.

9-11 and 2-3 in July.

A few times a week wakening her is OK. However, begin the practice of telling her so as you approach, so she hears you say the same things associated with waking her up. Pick her up gently but deliberately from belly and sides only.

Thank you so much for replying Walter :)

Ok, that's great. Thank you. I generally open the door, talk to her, change her water, spray, etc before I lift her house up (I've only done it twice and panicked that I was ruining our relationship, lol. I'm such a worrier). Then I wait a moment while she adjusts and starts sticking her tongue out to see what's going on.

I'll keep it to a few times a week though.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can move her directly to your lap with her head tucked underneath your shirt and a hand/arm over her body and read a book or watch TV, etc.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I totally agree with Walter.... I wake Alpha up all the time as I work 12 hour shifts on a 4 on ,4 off basis so the days i work I wake him and often take him out for a cuddle he soon lets me know if hes not bothered by trying to burrow deeper into his hay.

Alexandria Nelson

We wake ricky up every morning cause he doesn’t eat as much in the afternoon and my husband and I have early schedules. He just goes to bed a little earlier depending on when we wake him up.

Rusty7486

5 Year Member
I've also heard many people say never wake a tegu. I wake my boy up all the time and he doesn't mind a bit. I've done it since he was a baby though. Never once huffed or even got startled by me.

Every tegu is different. What can break trust with one may have no affect on another.

The general advice you hear is a good starting point but your experience with your specific animal will teach you much more.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602