• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

not doing well at all

RobK.

I was watching my Rhino eat when all of a sundan he started shaking his head violtinly ( he was not choking ) and starting trashing his legs to the side . then he ran to the other side of the cage sliding to a stop with his eyes caved in ,and his tail flickering . I though he died . He's done that three times in the last couple hous . His vet is 1 1/2 south and no way in can get him in until tomorrow . If anything happens to him i am done . i have put too much time into him and not going to start over . Its just to heart wrenching

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you able to call and get any sort of advice over the phone? I'm sorry to hear about this! Hopefully he'll be alright.

Logie_Bear

You and your iggy will be in my thoughts today. I hope you both the best. I def second trying to get some consult with the vet over the phone.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Darn robk sorry to hear that,i know its really sad to see your rhino going threw that,and being you take such good care of him.I hope everythings ok.I was wondering i know you give the best care to your rhino,but how much calcium do you give your rhino,not that your od your rhino but they say that can cause some of the same symptoms as mbd,just wondering.

RobK.

Everytime he tries to eat he gets these uncontrolable twitches or secieres . i wish i new what going on , what i did wrong or ?? . Was it something he ate or something form the lynolium like fumes or what . Not knowing , i sure don't want to get another one (if he dies) or i have to put him down . It surecan't eat this . I m NOT going to put another one through this . He ate a ton of watercres with his other greens in the lastt few weeks . I also gave him some dandelions from my yard , that had NO fertilizers or NO pesticides, and i washed it good . I Don't hkow what i did wrong . My wife thinks i am nuts ,as i am been in tears just about all thay . I love it little guys as much as my Lab . I am i Crazy ??
teguboy77 said:
Darn robk sorry to hear that,i know its really sad to see your rhino going threw that,and being you take such good care of him.I hope everythings ok.I was wondering i know you give the best care to your rhino,but how much calcium do you give your rhino,not that your od your rhino but they say that can cause some of the same symptoms as mbd,just wondering.

I give him Greens that are high in calcium so give him very little . To much with D3 or not enough, they can get these symptoms . You sure can't find a straight answer on the Net thats for sure . I hope he's doing beter in the morning .?? I left a message for the vet to call me ASAP so i can run him in , in the morning . I hope they can do some blood work and see whats up .

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah it almost all seems like experimentation is the only way to keep them. There are too many different opinions out there.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i hope your rhino is ok,i guess they can get the symptoms yours had,but i was just wondering to try to help ya out,i stick with calcium without d3,thats safer in my opinion.But anyway your diet sounds good,i give mine the watercress and spring mix ,mazuri mix and mine loves that.Maybe it is something with the lynolium.But the vet should be able to help you out,something is wrong thats forsure.

Well i try to do whats the best for my rhino like all of us,but trial and era is ok,but i mean i've had a couple rhino's,green iguana's,and i learned somethings from breeders,and my own being i keep mine indoors,i try to use the best things for my rhino.

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
Well i hope your rhino is ok,i guess they can get the symptoms yours had,but i was just wondering to try to help ya out

777 I took your post as you intended :) thanks for the help !!:) I have been giving him the stuff without D3 .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Good i'm glad you did robk,i feel bad for you and your rhino,you really care about it and give it great care.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
teguboy77 said:
Well i try to do whats the best for my rhino like all of us,but trial and era is ok,but i mean i've had a couple rhino's,green iguana's,and i learned somethings from breeders,and my own being i keep mine indoors,i try to use the best things for my rhino.

We all TRY to do what's best, the problem is who really knows what is best. You say you try to use the "best things" for you Rhino, but unless you are designing them or making them, who is to say they are the best. This is what I mean by experimentation or experience I guess would be a better word. Without previous experience, we can't be sure the products we buy or that are available are even any good. And even using them previously, whose to say the next batch aren't duds. I mean I have used SolarGlo bulbs with good results and many others claim the bulbs are no good.

Not trying to argue, just saying we have to trust people that are just trying to make money.

jdpFL

Exactly. An example....did you know that ordinary tums are nothing but pure calcium carbonate? No other vitamin, nothing else added. Just calcium. Dollar or two for a huge bottle as opposed to twenty bucks for "reptile calcium"....a regular light bulb spot or flood type is the same thing as a "reptile basking light"....(for heat, not UV....to be clear)... A plastic tub from the dollar store makes an ideal snake habitat, a opposed to a specialty reptile keeper from a fancy pet store....rocks or mulch from a garden store are cheap compared to special "substrate" or reptile "basking rocks"....just saying, keeping reptiles is a lot cheaper if you don't buy into all the pet trade mumbo jumbo.

And robk....I wish you luck, hope the vet can give you a good answer and out come. So hard when something goes wrong. :(

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
teguboy77 said:

We all TRY to do what's best, the problem is who really knows what is best. You say you try to use the "best things" for you Rhino, but unless you are designing them or making them, who is to say they are the best. This is what I mean by experimentation or experience I guess would be a better word. Without previous experience, we can't be sure the products we buy or that are available are even any good. And even using them previously, whose to say the next batch aren't duds. I mean I have used SolarGlo bulbs with good results and many others claim the bulbs are no good.

Not trying to argue, just saying we have to trust people that are just trying to make money.
Well i mean again not trying to argue to but,i go buy what people who been breeding them for over 30 years tells me,solar meter readings,my Herp veterinarian ideas,they didnt design them or did i but that means if your reptiles healthy and your using what is said to be good idea way to care for your rhino,reptile etc, and people who keep rhino's for over 25 years they must be doing something rite.I never had any major problems with any of my lizards,and i am just a reptile keeper like everybody else on here,but i myself feel i give my rhino the best care from the research i've done and breeders i talked to,not only that i've been keeping reptiles along time and i'm pretty good at it,but i still like the ideas people give and am always learning about reptiles like everybody else.You dont have to be god to take good care of your reptile.You use solar glo so have i,but i like mega ray just difference of opinion,doesnt mean i'm right your wrong right,is your reptile healthy?Mine is so if it works for me i'll keep doing it and to me i give my rhino the best care i can.I agree some breeders,companies are out just for the money,but there is tools,out there that can provide you with facts about lighting etc,thats why i use them as to others that dont have them which is my opinion but thats give me facts.Just my opionion not trying to argue.;)

frost

1,000+ Post Club
just a random guess but maybe he injured his stomach, if it happens when he eats then that might be something to look into. as for the sunken eyes im not sure what would cause that. i haven't heard of that with animals or humans.=/

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I guess it could be not sure,i just hope his rhino turns out to be ok.As far as eyes sunken, a dehydrated reptile may have sunken eyes as far as i know,but he feeds his greens,and has good humidity.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
teguboy77 said:
james.w said:
teguboy77 said:

Well i mean again not trying to argue to but,i go buy what people who been breeding them for over 30 years tells me,solar meter readings,my Herp veterinarian ideas,they didnt design them or did i but that means if your reptiles healthy and your using what is said to be good idea way to care for your rhino,reptile etc, and people who keep rhino's for over 25 years they must be doing something rite.I never had any major problems with any of my lizards,and i am just a reptile keeper like everybody else on here,but i myself feel i give my rhino the best care from the research i've done and breeders i talked to,not only that i've been keeping reptiles along time and i'm pretty good at it,but i still like the ideas people give and am always learning about reptiles like everybody else.You dont have to be god to take good care of your reptile.You use solar glo so have i,but i like mega ray just difference of opinion,doesnt mean i'm right your wrong right,is your reptile healthy?Mine is so if it works for me i'll keep doing it and to me i give my rhino the best care i can.I agree some breeders,companies are out just for the money,but there is tools,out there that can provide you with facts about lighting etc,thats why i use them as to others that dont have them which is my opinion but thats give me facts.Just my opionion not trying to argue.;)

I agree with you, the line in bold is a good place to start for info, but if your home ambient temps, available foods, humidity, etc are different from where the breeders are, changes will have to be made.

The line I underlined is the experimentation I am talking about, if your animal is healthy you would think you are doing things right. Problem with this is look at RobK's situation, his animal was healthy up until this weird problem.

Herp keeping is too subjective and can differ in so many ways, all we can do is share experiences and try our best.

Logie_Bear

Have you had a chance to speak to your vet yet? Im rooting for your rhino today, hope he pulls through for you. :) Definitely keep us posted when you know something!

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
teguboy77 said:
james.w said:
teguboy77 said:

I agree with you, the line in bold is a good place to start for info, but if your home ambient temps, available foods, humidity, etc are different from where the breeders are, changes will have to be made.

The line I underlined is the experimentation I am talking about, if your animal is healthy you would think you are doing things right. Problem with this is look at RobK's situation, his animal was healthy up until this weird problem.

Herp keeping is too subjective and can differ in so many ways, all we can do is share experiences and try our best.
Well the line in bold i didnt do that on purpose sorry,its a great place to start they have had rhino's for over 25 + years enough said,and your 100% right that the care for the breeders is going to be different being they are in florida etc,but being i keep mine indoors and theres gets natural sun kept outside changes will be made to my best ability for my rhino's needs your right.Yes robk's was healthy then out of know were a problem,something happen,not saying it was the care or anything,but to go from healthy to a healthy issue over night there's a problem.Hope he gives us a update and,and james again i agree with you too you always give good points.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980