• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Nile or black throat?

Nile or Black throat?

• Total voters

KritterKeeper

Hmm I think maybe you like polls..Well lets see..can u properly house, heat and feed either one? They both get huge, they both need HUGE custom made enclosures/rooms, they both eat massive amounts of food($$$) and both can cause serious injuries esp if you dont have much large lizard experience(and even if you do..) I wouldnt recommend either for most people and niles are known to be unfriendly in general..

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Those are two very different species. Different temperaments and behaviors, slightly different husbandry needs, different sizes.....

jaydsr2887

I have read a lot on both species and Niles tend to be more aggressive and are bigger and they both do eat A LOT! But out of the two I would would personally chose a black throated monitor. Because they tend to if handled right and associated with right will tame down a lot over time.... but if you have no big lizard experience then neither will be good but if.you don't and still want a monitor lizard then try a Savannah monitor..... they get a decent size and have almost the same care requirements as the black throated monitors..... good luck..

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I have read a lot on both species and Niles tend to be more aggressive and are bigger and they both do eat A LOT! But out of the two I would would personally chose a black throated monitor. Because they tend to if handled right and associated with right will tame down a lot over time.... but if you have no big lizard experience then neither will be good but if.you don't and still want a monitor lizard then try a Savannah monitor..... they get a decent size and have almost the same care requirements as the black throated monitors..... good luck..
Niles are certainly not larger than a black throat.

Roxberry

Having had both, I would say you get what you put in and every animal is different. Personally having other reptiles I feel a Nile may be safer for your current pets because it will be much easier for you to come across CBB then a black throat (almost all are imports) Also niles are cheaper than black throats so that's always a plus. But to each is own and I say get what you want just be smart about it.

TehGoo

My vote is for black throat all the way ! I realise all individuals may very but as a general rule black throats are more laid back and less high strung than niles and I have had both. I had an almost 6 foot black throat and he was awesome . Understanding and respecting monitor behavior will go along way whatever you choose... But why not get a Tegu they rock !

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced