• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu

Rondell

hello guys! I am a new red tegu owner and wondering why is it I’ve only seen my tegu out 3 time since I got him two weeks ago? And how should I start taming if it’s always hiding and burrowing? Thank you guy in advance!

Last edited:

Ali peirce

I just got a red tegu 2 weeks ago and mine does the sa same thing. But honestly I unbury him every morning and he eats all the food up right away. I know you're not supposed to dig them up but they have to eat too.

Ali peirce

I feed him inside the enclosure. Right now I have him in a tank because I'm waiting on his 8 foot cage. I found the best thing to put the food on is white folded up paper towel. He wouldnt eat it off of this long feeding rock I got him. So far he hates fish but loves Turkey meatballs and chicken livers. He also ate a whole hard boiled egg. I switch it up everyday. I also gave him four pinkies in one feeding and ate them no problem. Then he stays up for about 3 hours not even and buries himself again until the next day when I dig him up again. He only hisses a little bit and then calms down pretty fast to eat.

Ali peirce

Dont use the tongs at all and put it on a white paper towel and let it got to the food on it's own. What are you feeding it??? Mine doesnt like the tongs for feedinging either

Ali peirce

Dont put him in a feeding box because I think that will get them worked u p.k more and not want to eat. Feed in the enclosure hes been in at least that's what I would try. It's been working for me

chris bertram

Hi I got my little guy around a month ago and it took him a few weeks to start eating, he can still be pretty funny now after a month and not eat for a couple of days. It’s pretty normal to not see them much, mine is only out for 3-4 hours a day.
What I did was strip his hole tank and just leave a hide both sides that way you can easily find them and they can also find food easier with no risk of eating substrate. Mine won’t eat any raw meats, I can only get him to eat crickets, pinkies and hoppers. Also won’t eat if I’m near the tank watching so try just leaving some food in with them and see how you go.

Rondell

Hi I got my little guy around a month ago and it took him a few weeks to start eating, he can still be pretty funny now after a month and not eat for a couple of days. It’s pretty normal to not see them much, mine is only out for 3-4 hours a day.
What I did was strip his hole tank and just leave a hide both sides that way you can easily find them and they can also find food easier with no risk of eating substrate. Mine won’t eat any raw meats, I can only get him to eat crickets, pinkies and hoppers. Also won’t eat if I’m near the tank watching so try just leaving some food in with them and see how you go.
How did you keep the humidity inside?

chris bertram

I’ve brought a humidifier and controller that’s set to keep it around 70. You can pick the stats up from amazon for under £30 and any cool mist humidifier will do if can get a bit of pipe to fit it and run into tank

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602