1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

New Tegu

Discussion in 'General Tegu Discussion' started by Rondell, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Rondell

Rondell New Member

hello guys! I am a new red tegu owner and wondering why is it I’ve only seen my tegu out 3 time since I got him two weeks ago? And how should I start taming if it’s always hiding and burrowing? Thank you guy in advance!
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

I just got a red tegu 2 weeks ago and mine does the sa same thing. But honestly I unbury him every morning and he eats all the food up right away. I know you're not supposed to dig them up but they have to eat too.
  3. Rondell

Rondell New Member

Do you feed them in the enclosure or outside the enclosure I really haven’t seen him eat but once
  4. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

I feed him inside the enclosure. Right now I have him in a tank because I'm waiting on his 8 foot cage. I found the best thing to put the food on is white folded up paper towel. He wouldnt eat it off of this long feeding rock I got him. So far he hates fish but loves Turkey meatballs and chicken livers. He also ate a whole hard boiled egg. I switch it up everyday. I also gave him four pinkies in one feeding and ate them no problem. Then he stays up for about 3 hours not even and buries himself again until the next day when I dig him up again. He only hisses a little bit and then calms down pretty fast to eat.
  5. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Use something to dig yours up 8 use my little tongs because I was scared at first but hasnt tried to bite not once. But has hissed
  6. Rondell

Rondell New Member

I tried feeding mine using a feeding tong but it won’t take the food I don’t know how I’m going to feed it
  7. Rondell

Rondell New Member

Should I just take him out and put him in a feeding box?
  8. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Dont use the tongs at all and put it on a white paper towel and let it got to the food on it's own. What are you feeding it??? Mine doesnt like the tongs for feedinging either
  9. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Dont put him in a feeding box because I think that will get them worked u p.k more and not want to eat. Feed in the enclosure hes been in at least that's what I would try. It's been working for me
  10. Rondell

Rondell New Member

Eggs turkey salmon
  11. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Try just a Turkey ball first. Mine loves it. Just ground turkey plain. Try no calcium powder or any of that. Mine likes it plain.
  12. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Do you know your regus birthday? I've been trying to figure out if mine is old enough to know if it is a boy or girl? I dont know
  13. Rondell

Rondell New Member

Mine is at least a couple of months he is a rescued from an owner that didn’t take care of him