• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new tegu not eating very lethargic

IG:teguzilla

Assuming the temperature of the basking spot is HOT and correct
[I recommend a multi-level basking spot of 110F+ for babies and 125F for subadults+, with the multi-level they can adjust as they see fit.]

answer the following:

1. How long have you had the tegu in your possession ?

2. Is your tegu a captive bred or wild caught ?

If Captive Bred; ask the breeder what was it's previous diet, most tegu farms raise their babies strictly on ground poultry for the entire life up to the sale... taking to new foods can take a little while (I do not do this, i feed a variety of food to my babies before I ship them to their new owners)

If Wild Caught then it may be sick and needs to be dewormed or such [go to a vet].

If Bought from a pet store and they can't tell you anything about the tegu, or they give you a vague answer like they "bought it from a breeder in [enter state name here]", then go with "Wild Caught" above... FL wild caught tegus are being wholesaled throughout the USA for $35 each as today 10/06/2021 due to the impeding FL Tegu Ban coming in.

Last edited:

land77

Assuming the temperature of the basking spot is HOT and correct
[I recommend a multi-level basking spot of 110F+ for babies and 125F for subadults+, with the multi-level they can adjust as they see fit.]

answer the following:

1. How long have you had the tegu in your possession ?

2. Is your tegu a captive bred or wild caught ?

If Captive Bred; ask the breeder what was it's previous diet, most tegu farms raise their babies strictly on ground poultry for the entire life up to the sale... taking to new foods can take a little while (I do not do this, i feed a variety of food to my babies before I ship them to their new owners)

If Wild Caught then it may be sick and needs to be dewormed or such [go to a vet].

If Bought from a pet store and they can't tell you anything about the tegu, or they give you a vague answer like they "bought it from a breeder in [enter state name here]", then go with "Wild Caught" above... FL wild caught tegus are being wholesaled throughout the USA for $35 each as today 10/06/2021 due to the impeding FL Tegu Ban coming in.
I’ve had it for about 3-4 months and it was captive bred and I can’t talk to the breeder because the business just shut down so I have no way to contact them
I’ll also try and up the temperature and try the multi level basking area also I got it when it was about 3-4 weeks old I believe thx for the info and if you have any other ideas lmk

IG:teguzilla

I’ve had it for about 3-4 months and it was captive bred and I can’t talk to the breeder because the business just shut down so I have no way to contact them
I’ll also try and up the temperature and try the multi level basking area also I got it when it was about 3-4 weeks old I believe thx for the info and if you have any other ideas lmk

Which part of the world are you located? I forgot to ask but Yes in some parts of the world the tegus are slowing down into brumation already.

Here in the USA it will happen around November (mine go down end of Oct here in Texas).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam