• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu, Is this normal?

Saturday I bought an Argentine Red Tegu from the expo in Columbus..so Ive had him about 3-4 days. Ive kept a binch of different snakes and lizards but this is my first Tegu. Ive alwaaays wanted one. I dont know the sex but its a few months old. I have him in a 40 gallon breeder for now. Hes got plenty of room but i plan on starting his cage build next month. (I say he out of habit but like i said not sure of the sex.) Well anyways hes not really eating and stays burrowed most of the time. The first day I had him home he ate a nice portion of egg and bananas and was extremely active that first day. But ever since he hasnt been coming out and i havent seen him eat once. Ive been offering him different things but he just seems interested for a second then walks away. Hes extremely skittish as well. I tried handling him for just a couple seconds and he wanted nothing but to get away from me. I know his temps and humidity are right. Is he just stressed still from the move or what? I know i really have no reason to worry quite yet I just really want him to be happy and healthy. Thanks for reading and would love some feedback

LizardStudent

This is quite normal if its only been 3 or 4 days, they can take a week or two to settle once you bring them home. If it fits comfortably in a 40 gallon, then its got to still be young so no surprise that its skittish around you. Aside from the adjustment period it can just take a lot of time, patience, and work to tame them down and get them to trust you. I recommend starting to bond slowly and waiting until they're comfortable and adjusted, but some keepers like to jump right in with more active tracking sessions. There's a lot of info on this site about taming and bonding that im sure you'll find useful

This is quite normal if its only been 3 or 4 days, they can take a week or two to settle once you bring them home. If it fits comfortably in a 40 gallon, then its got to still be young so no surprise that its skittish around you. Aside from the adjustment period it can just take a lot of time, patience, and work to tame them down and get them to trust you. I recommend starting to bond slowly and waiting until they're comfortable and adjusted, but some keepers like to jump right in with more active tracking sessions. There's a lot of info on this site about taming and bonding that im sure you'll find useful
Thanks for the reply. After i made the post i went and read some discussions that definitely helped put my mind at ease. I guess i shouldve started by doing that.

Dinomama

Saturday I bought an Argentine Red Tegu from the expo in Columbus..so Ive had him about 3-4 days. Ive kept a binch of different snakes and lizards but this is my first Tegu. Ive alwaaays wanted one. I dont know the sex but its a few months old. I have him in a 40 gallon breeder for now. Hes got plenty of room but i plan on starting his cage build next month. (I say he out of habit but like i said not sure of the sex.) Well anyways hes not really eating and stays burrowed most of the time. The first day I had him home he ate a nice portion of egg and bananas and was extremely active that first day. But ever since he hasnt been coming out and i havent seen him eat once. Ive been offering him different things but he just seems interested for a second then walks away. Hes extremely skittish as well. I tried handling him for just a couple seconds and he wanted nothing but to get away from me. I know his temps and humidity are right. Is he just stressed still from the move or what? I know i really have no reason to worry quite yet I just really want him to be happy and healthy. Thanks for reading and would love some feedback
Something that really helped when I brought my boy Draco home was to take an old shirt and sleep in it for a few nights and then put it in his hide to get him accused to my scent. Spend as much time as possible talking to him, trying to handle him, but give him time. It could take a few weeks, but it will be worth it.

Skullson

About 16 inches including the tail. Basking temp is 115 and humidity stays between 50 and 70
That’s good! Honestly a chance you could have brought him home and he’s already in early puberty where they will be more territorial and skittish. But odds are he’s just skittish and will calm down in a couple weeks! the puberty is what will really throw you for a loop. You can get him completely tamed and then you’ll go through that and wonder what did I do wrong! But I promise he will come back around as long as you don’t change your routines. Best of luck!!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Totally normal behavior. They don't trust easily. They always freak out when they're moved from one place to another. At 16" - he's so young, so don't forget - you'll still be dealing with puberty down the road....maybe within 6 months. Good luck!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced