• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu hiding or brumating?

FayeL

Hi everyone! I’ve been stalking this site for a while for tegu research, and was finally able to get one last week. I got it (unsure if male or female) from a pet store, which would not have been my first choice but I’d seen it there a few months ago and decided I’d do my research as I’d always wanted a large lizard. (I have had a red eared slider for a few years, and help my boyfriend’s dad with his bearded dragon whenever he needs it). So when I felt confident in my research, as much as I could be because of how different each care guide I’ve found seems to be, and it was still there I decided to get it. I’d expected some hiding and a mild refusal to eat at first because of the new space, but it’s been buried in the same spot for a few days now with no signs of coming out. I do need to get the temps and humidity up a little bit, I do have stuff ordered, but I didn’t think it was too far off? Temp on the cool side is at 80, and 100 on the basking side. I keep the terrarium misted throughout the day to keep the humidity up as much as I can (about 70% right after misting but drops to 50% much quicker than I expected). It buried itself a few days after I got it, but I woke it when I was cleaning out the water dish to put fresh water in and it stayed out for a few days but then went right back under. I’m not sure if it’s just hiding because it’s not used to this yet, or if it’s trying to Brumate? It’s only April, so I thought I’d have a while before that? I can see under the terrarium (I have plans for a large enclosure, this is temporary) so I know it’s in the same spot. Should I be worried at all?

LIZARDGMA428

I hope someone answers you, we just inherited my son's tegu about 2 months ago and just recently it went into hiding and we have no idea why. So hopefully me responding will bump your question and I can get an idea as to why it's happening.

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
You need to raise your basking Temps up. They should be from 120° to 135° ambient air on basking side should be around 95°-110° while cool side should be about 75°-85°. If basking spot is low, adjust to above Temps. To make sure it's that temperature, get a temp gun and point directly at basking spot. Probes are only useful for the all around air. I would also grab him out to male sure he knows that the temp is adjusted. He could be buried just enough to not realize it. Hopefully this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam