• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Owner Worries?

casey15

I'm getting a Savannah and have done research for months, but I'm worrying about alot of things. But these are the main two.

1) I'm worried that if I use a slate rock for his basking platform that he'll dig under it and it will crush him

2) I'm worried the lights will cause a fire (even though they are 60 watt halogen bulbs)

I'm worried about those 2 things, can anyone give me some advice/answers?

I think I did to much research on the things that can go wrong...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You have to support the rock so it won't crush him. Any time you put heat near something flammable there is a chance of fire. Even if it is a small chance, there is still a chance.

Murkve

Try stackIng bricks, or another stable, flat surface underneath the slate rock. You want to make sure that everything is as stable as possible when dealing with basking rocks.

casey15

I'm putting stable surface under the rock, I've had electrician set up cage, so theres not a huge fire risk, I'm still worried. Oh well, I'm just nervous/excited for him!

james.w said:
You have to support the rock so it won't crush him. Any time you put heat near something flammable there is a chance of fire. Even if it is a small chance, there is still a chance.

I have a ceramic fixture for the halogen bulb, since it gets pretty hot. If I put light cover over the bulb, would temp melt the cover?

aambumann

casey15 said:
I'm putting stable surface under the rock, I've had electrician set up cage, so theres not a huge fire risk, I'm still worried. Oh well, I'm just nervous/excited for him!

james.w said:

I have a ceramic fixture for the halogen bulb, since it gets pretty hot. If I put light cover over the bulb, would temp melt the cover?
yes, my 50 watt basking bulb puts out about 280 degrees measured at the end of the fixture.

casey15

What if I didn't put any substrate under the spot where the basking rock was? I'd put it everywhere else but under the rock?

probably a ceramic heater guard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced