• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Owner Help!

Stacy Nichols

I've had my new guy for about 3 weeks now and he's been hibernating pretty much the whole time. He has woke up a few times which I took the opportunity to feed him and try to bond with him. When I try to get him out he turns into a rodeo star. Which brings me to the following questions.

1. I've read that you shouldn't feed in their enclosure. True or False? Why?

2. Best way to bond/tame? I've heard putting him in the bathtub? I've been doing the t-shirt in his enclosure thing.

Any other help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Stacy and Zeus

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1) False, I've always fed in his enclosure

2) using your hand as a stepping stone in the bath is good..... also just be patient and try to let them investigate you rather than forcing yourself on them.

Smokie66

Stacey i hope things have improved for as i have one that's a juvenile for maybe two weeks now and i kinda feel exactly like I'm in the same boat as far as how to even approach it to start handling it. I've had iguanas and also have a young Savannah monitor now but a tegu is not either one of these guys. I kinda feel the trust is you is the both of us actually...lol.. It's eating better the San most new reptiles and kinda jumped and ran off from me once other than that i run her neck and up and down her back with no hissing, tail whipping or aggression of any kind but like i said I'm kinda afraid as soon as i pick her up and get her out I'm gonna have my hands full with her and although she isn't full grown she is big enough to be a hand full so I'm curious to know where your at with yours now and if your past all this first approach. Thanks and any help from anyone would be great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602