• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Columbian Today

josep

My name is Joe and I just bought a hatchling Columbian Black and White today and can already tell I'm going to have my hands full. I haven't sexed it yet therefore haven't come up with a name. Does anyone have any tips or tricks I can try to get him used to me being around him and in his tank?
Beardie, Salamander, Frogs, and a new Tegu

josep

Thanks ill give it a shot, after a couple of days he still freaks out when i go in to change his water, mist, and take him out for feeding. He seems to be quite picky with the food so far he has only gone for hardboiled eggs and wax worms. When I take him out to feed i try and sit with him for about an hour just to get him used to me being there and to show him I'm no threat. He doesn't mind when i rub under his chin and then slowly slide my finger under his chest to lift him.

Mrdeadink

I just got a new tegu about 3 weeks ago. I hold him every day for an hours a day (few times 30min) he seems less tame than the first two days that being said I can tell we have a great bond , he's a pain In the ass to get out the tank. Doesn't mind me petting him but when I pick him up he always struggles and squirms that being said once its out the tank it sits and chills with me with no problem lol it's so weird !!

Mrdeadink

time to settle in is not you picking him up to feed him then sitting there playing with him...
I don't play with him? How would one play with a reptile? None the less the little guy has adapted to me from this method of "handling him regulary" , he's a chill guy... Ps never said anything about settling in

rwilson9879

Stick your hand in and just leave it there. They will try and bite or whip you.do nothing. Leave your hand in there untill she or he warms up to you. Dont try and pick up until it is comfortable with you. Took me awhile but i have a three year old female the is a baby. She jumps out of her wnclosure when i call her. Columbians take alot of work and consistency but are worth it in the end. Alot of devotion is needed or they can be extremely hard to handle. Good luck

rwilson9879

I actually recommend not taking out to feed. But only leaving food dish in the enclosure until its done. Most the time thwy are burrowed ao they wont get used to ur hand. If they are oit talk to them a bit before food goes in. Taking them out and feeding elsewhere is stressful from what I'VE learned.

JAlex073

<<<<<I just got Hank 3 days ago, I'm able to pick him up with just a bit of fussing. He doesn't try to bite or hiss or any of that. I left him alone the first day, put some ground turkey in his cage the next morning and he ate and has been fine ever since. I think it has to do with the breeder and where they came from because I got mine from a local exotic reputable reptile breeder with the parents on the premesis and Hank seems pretty docile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980