• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby tegu, taming help!

BlackCanvas

I just recently bought a 2 month old baby black and white tegu, when I brought him hone he let me pick him up maybe once or twice without issues.. the second day came around and he let me pick him up once, but started whipping a little bit and running.. but on the third day he wanted Nothing to do with me at all. If I pick him up he bites and whips and seems terrified. So I haven’t been Messing with him, just changing his food and water and he seems to be okay with that. He starts breathing really heavy when he thinks I’m coming close and whips me if I get to close. I need help with advice on what to do.. some people say force handle him every day until he gets used to me, some people say to leave him alone and slowly gain his trust. Please help! Haha also, he has eaten a bite or two of food but he isn’t really eating. I have tried crickets, super worms, ground turkey, high end dog food, squash and blueberries but he has only taken a bite or two of the ground turkey. I breed ball pythons but this is a whole new beast and any advice is appreciated.

thank you all so much.

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
I just recently bought a 2 month old baby black and white tegu, when I brought him hone he let me pick him up maybe once or twice without issues.. the second day came around and he let me pick him up once, but started whipping a little bit and running.. but on the third day he wanted Nothing to do with me at all. If I pick him up he bites and whips and seems terrified. So I haven’t been Messing with him, just changing his food and water and he seems to be okay with that. He starts breathing really heavy when he thinks I’m coming close and whips me if I get to close. I need help with advice on what to do.. some people say force handle him every day until he gets used to me, some people say to leave him alone and slowly gain his trust. Please help! Haha also, he has eaten a bite or two of food but he isn’t really eating. I have tried crickets, super worms, ground turkey, high end dog food, squash and blueberries but he has only taken a bite or two of the ground turkey. I breed ball pythons but this is a whole new beast and any advice is appreciated.

thank you all so much.
IMO I would leave him alone for a week or even two, let him get settled in. You can do the clothes trick to get him use to your scent. If your feeding him he’ll get to know you from that. After two weeks treat him to free roaming in the bathroom with you. But ignore him let him come to you out of curiosity. You can also try the bathtub trick as well. Fill your tub a little then as he settles, slide your hand underneath him and hold him slightly above the water.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Typical Tegu behavior! soooo first, don't panic. Maybe both options work for handling, but if your animal is a particularly obstinate one (like I've had) they can absolutely carry on with this for a pretty long time. For me, patience worked. The handling will come, and I didn't want to force this animal that has been uprooted and re-homed to go through any more trauma than it already has. And, make no mistake, it's traumatic to them to be moved. Everyone on this forum should know that - in this particular concern, this isn't just my opinion. The majority of Tegus (if not all) go through a period of adjustment after going to a new home.

I like what TeguNovice said, because it's what worked for me. Forcing an animal to experience extra fear and anxiety for no reason just doesn't seem kind. Patience def works. Over-handling may also, I just don't like the style/effects of it. I think with Tegus, (after working through their brumation), you get what you give.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi