• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby tegu sleeping almost the whole day

Hibiki

Hi guys! I just got my male tegu baby 2 days ago! He is 3 1/2 months old, a little bit overweighted as I could tell from his belly. The previous owner of him said he is moderately active and eats a lot, but ever since he came to my home, he burrowed in his new enclosure immediately and never came out. Yesterday I was a bit concerned and gently dug him out and offered food. He picked 6 super worms to eat and stopped, not drinking anything, went to bask for a while, and burrowed himself again. Basically he was awake for less than 3 hours and went back sleeping. Today he is still sleeping, not moving at all until now, which is 2 pm at my timezone. Is this a sign of him entering brumation? Or it is his way to adjust to the new environment? Should I be worried because he is not active at all and eating little?

For the context, he is living in a 48'' long tank, with the ambient temperature of 75 lower side, 85 higher side, and 105 basking spot. During the night the temperature drops no lower than 70. I used reptile soil mix as substrate, and kept spraying water every 2 hours to keep the humidity around 65~75. UVB is provided to the whole tank.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Its Just settling in .....Remember you turned the little guys whole world on his head, everything it once knew has gone...... be patient and use this time to get him used to your voice a scent.

onnie0047

After having 3 that I raised from a babies, this is my perspective. Sounds like his physical condition leads you to no concern of his immediate health. As Alpha states, he is settling in, in his eyes he is no longer in his world, but yours, he is probably not real happy about that, it will take some time to get use to you .....Your physical being, your voice etc, as well as his new home. Hopefully you are talking to him as you interact with him, he will recognize our voice and know you mean him no harm. It may take a while longer than you expect, but one day he will wonder out under the light to get warm. As far as drinking, he is getting SOME moisture out of the food you are giving him. He can smell the water, so he knows it there. When he is ready he will drink. Of course this is all assuming you got him healthy and he is still healthy. My adults have a good size water tub they can crawl into, they rarely take a bath, although one does like a shower from the garden hose every now and then, but I can honestly say I rarely see them drink from their water. Im sure they do, it been in the 90s the last month. And when the do drink its not for very long. Good Luck

Last edited:

Angel Diaz

Nothing to worry about.. as Alpha Alpha said,he’s jus settling in.. give him some time to adjust to his new home. He should be fine..

Hibiki

Thank you for your replies! Some assurance from experienced keepers like you guys really relieved my worries. He hasn't come out yet since then and it is almost a week, but I guess I will have to wait for him a little bit longer.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I thought your temps were right on for his age. As he gets closer to a year, you can raise the temps for the basking, and I think the humidity could use a bump.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980