• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby B/W Tegu open mouth/gasping

Philip & Hillel Littman

5 Year Member
I just purchased a baby b/w tegu from a reputable breeder 4 days ago. It is about 25 cm long and about 5 weeks old.
We left her alone for the first day and the day after she ate several crickets running after them fiercly. Since then she hasent really eaten. I saw her catch one snd then let it go.
I have been handling her and at first she was of course sqirmish but she has calmed down and climbs all over me without trying to run away, I'm surprised this happened so quickly.
But today I noticed something that worries me. She is opening her mouth wide, (not as if she is trying to bite) snd then swallowing strongly. I know this could be the sigh of respiratory infection...but so soon?
I have her (for now) in a plastic container 70 by 40 cm with a reptisun 5 uv bulb and a thermostat controlled ceramic heater on warm side....moist cocunut shavings as bedding, slate stone as basking corner. Keeping 35 to 40 deg C on warm side.
Also, it seems she sometimes leaves tip of her tongue a bit out of mouth (can be seen in closeup photo Any advice?

Attachments

• 20210916_184900.jpg
    20210916_184900.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 20210916_184846.jpg
    20210916_184846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210916_184900.jpg
    20210916_184900.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20210916_184846.jpg
    20210916_184846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
I say get her to a vet. Never be alarmed, but it’s all a lot of yellow flags and worth a vet visit just to be sure. Make SURE it’s a good vet for tegus though. Even if it’s more a drive, you want her healthy. Never go to a vet that you’re not sure can help.

IG:teguzilla

I just purchased a baby b/w tegu from a reputable breeder 4 days ago. It is about 25 cm long and about 5 weeks old.
We left her alone for the first day and the day after she ate several crickets running after them fiercly. Since then she hasent really eaten. I saw her catch one snd then let it go.
I have been handling her and at first she was of course sqirmish but she has calmed down and climbs all over me without trying to run away, I'm surprised this happened so quickly.
But today I noticed something that worries me. She is opening her mouth wide, (not as if she is trying to bite) snd then swallowing strongly. I know this could be the sigh of respiratory infection...but so soon?
I have her (for now) in a plastic container 70 by 40 cm with a reptisun 5 uv bulb and a thermostat controlled ceramic heater on warm side....moist cocunut shavings as bedding, slate stone as basking corner. Keeping 35 to 40 deg C on warm side.
Also, it seems she sometimes leaves tip of her tongue a bit out of mouth (can be seen in closeup photo Any advice?

Can you switch out that ceremic bulb with a hot spot heat bulb (careful not to melt your tub) ?

and place some rocks under the basking stone, lifting up the basking spot until the surface temps is reading 47C [115F] after an hour. My adults outdoors, their basking spot can reach up to 135F on a hot mid summer Texas day.

If a tegu can get their body temp real hot, they can "burn" off almost all ailments that can effect them. But also yes get it to a vet just to be sure.

Philip & Hillel Littman

5 Year Member
Sadly, not long after writting the above post our baby Tegu died. We are in shock. It was a holiday here with no vet available, and it all happened in a few hours. I took the body to the supplier (an experienced vet) and he cut her open to try to understand what caused this. He was sure she had choked on something but nothing suspicious was found. The rest of his Tegus are healthy. This is a very unpleasant outcome especially since I have over 20 yrs experience raising reptiles, (although first time tegu).

IG:teguzilla

Sadly, not long after writting the above post our baby Tegu died. We are in shock. It was a holiday here with no vet available, and it all happened in a few hours. I took the body to the supplier (an experienced vet) and he cut her open to try to understand what caused this. He was sure she had choked on something but nothing suspicious was found. The rest of his Tegus are healthy. This is a very unpleasant outcome especially since I have over 20 yrs experience raising reptiles, (although first time tegu).
Very sorry to hear that!

Check out my morph market page (link in my signature) and mention you are from the TeguTalk forum. I can give you a discount on a baby tegu due to your previous experience.

Cheers!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
So sorry for your little one, and the loss you feel. Very difficult - I know how quickly we bond and connect with them. I lost a young blue and just felt helpless. Life happens. Don't give up though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602