• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New at Tegu-ing

Limbo Linda

I am a newbie, newbie.....Never in my wildest dreams did I ever plan to have possession of a black and white Argentine Tegu. I soooo do not know what I am doing. He (or she??) belongs to my 14 year old Grandson. A recent divorce turned everything upside down and, somehow, grandma got the Tegu. I'm only caring for him until the dust settles and he can go back to my grandson - which could be several months away. Right now, I manage to feed him stew beef, with a pair of tongs, and I have learned that he likes grapes, but he hates strawberries and peaches. My grandson used to take him out of his habitat and handle him. This is something granny can NOT do!! The thought of reaching in and touching him, let alone getting him out of his habitat, is beyond what I can do at this point. Is that harmful to them? I know they are supposed to be very social creatures and should be handled often. I'm good with his food and water, but that's the end of my care at this point. He lunged at me when I reached in for his water bowl. Do they bite?? This site has been a life saver for me. Thank you all for the helpful, much needed information.

rantology

Oh my, that's a lot to suddenly have on your plate! Can you list the equipment and enclosure the tegu currently has?

Do you know how old it is (or, how big is it?) You don't need to interact much with it if you don't have to. Some tegus can be a bit aggressive and bitey so if you don't know the animal, it's alright if you just leave it alone for the most part and just make sure its basic needs are taken care of.

Some quick basic needs:
  • Lighting: It will need a heat lamp and a UVB source placed at one end of the cage. These can be one and the same, or two different fixtures depending on what you have. The heat lamp should provide a basking spot of about 110-125 degrees
  • Humidity: Tegus like to be humid, so depending on the setup, it can help to spray the cage down about twice a day
  • Food: Ask your grandson if he had any food stored he could perhaps give you. A staple of either frozen/thawed mice or repti-links of appropriate size would be best. Then aside from those you can offer some fruits and the occasional raw cracked egg. You could also do some ground turkey and mix some vegetables from that list in, if you do the ground meat route be sure to add some calcium supplement to it.

Limbo Linda

OMG! The first thing that grabbed me was the food!! Thawed MICE? How do you feed the raw cracked egg? That's more up my alley. I am so doing this all wrong. Let me go study his habitat and I'll give you a full description. Thanks for the reply and assistance. Limbo Linda

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yes, they bite...but mostly when threatened, or by mistake. Keep using your tongs, and be very calm around him. He'll get used to you, but it takes time. He's completely up-rooted and it scares him. Another food they like very much is ground turkey (I use the fattest variety I can find). Just roll it up into balls on a plate and set it in the enclosure. Can your Grandson come visit? I think that would help if that's who he's used to. He should come over to handle him and let him get a little exercise.
I put raw egg in a shallow dish and they lap it up like a dog. They do try to bite the yolk, but then they just get that tongue going. This is only recommended about twice a week. Don't overdo the egg. Mine loves salmon, and I always drip fish oil over almost everything I feed.

They're super smart, and will calm down. You might end up not wanting to give him up!! ;)

Limbo Linda

You have been so encouraging and helpful. I'm still trying to figure out all of the equipment in his habitat - but, frankly, I think he is going to need a bigger habitat. He's in the largest standard reptile habitat and it looks like it is closing in on him. My husband is not going to like that idea. I know how expensive these can get!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Lol - Already warming up??? It's happening then. You're about to become hooked. ;)

Tegus are easier to handle from when they're young, but it can be done with older, especially if they've already been handled a lot. Unfortunately, it might take more time. Do you know how old he is? That huffing and puffing he's doing can last awhile. Could he be between a year and 2 yrs old??? That's the roughest time that most Tegus go through. They have temper tantrums, snit fits, moodiness (especially when shedding) and behavioral changes that catch everybody off guard. One of the most commonly asked questions that we get here, is "why is my Tegu acting up right now, he's never done this before?" That, or...."He/she stopped eating and just wants to sleep" - which is their natural state in the winter months called "Brumation". The answer for the first question is (most times) that the animal has gone into it's 2nd year of life, and it's aptly called "puberty", which basically says it all. They are a little more ferocious and demanding. I had a female though, that didn't do any of that. She just sailed through it like it was nothing. I've never heard anyone mention if males are a little worse with puberty. It wouldn't surprise me.

Have you gotten your calcium yet?? Rantology mentioned this because it's extremely important - especially if you're not ready for feeding frozen/thawed mice. They naturally prey on small rodents and wild eggs including aligator eggs.. Lots of people get quail eggs, but I just use organic chicken eggs because there's nothing too good for my Skully.

Their favorite place to be scratched is on their jowls/ears and around the head. They kinda lose it over a good ear rub. You'll know this right away, because they'll close their eyes, and exhale. Let the bonding begin!!!!!

Limbo Linda

LOL You really have no idea how much I am the least likely person to own one of these, let alone care for one. He {or she??} only wants to sleep. When I approach his habitat, he opens his eyes and watches me, but he never moves. When it's his meal time, I approach his habitat, he watches me, then we see whether or not he intends to eat that day. I hand feed him using tongs. After several minutes of coaxing him, if he intends to eat, he will finally take the meat or grapes, etc. If he has no intention of eating, he deliberately moves and turns his back on me. It is obvious what he is doing. I respect his wishes and leave him alone. But, a few days ago, I mustered up the courage, opened his habitat, all while he was watching me and, slowly, I reached in and touched him on his back. He bucked my hand (well, finger) off of him so abruptly and deliberately that I thought perhaps I had startled him. So, I decided to try it again. Nope, same response. So, it was a start......I'm trying. He is just finishing up his shedding, which may be making him grumpy right now. I bought him for my grandson 2 years ago this month. I assume he was a baby at that time, so I'm guessing he is right at 2 years. It's funny to me how clearly his actions communicate his feelings or wishes. But, meanwhile, Granny keeps trying to break the barrier.

Zyn

Post some pictures of the set up, lighting, heating, and the tegu and we can try and go from there with further advice

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You're doing great...that bucking action is a very mild behavior that from my experience is just his way of telling you to get lost. I don't pay attention to it, and I start going forward toward his head, and rub his ears/jowls. He's an adult now and is most likely over his puberty. Which means, also most likely - he's just upset at being uprooted and given a new caretaker. I think he'll get used to you quickly. Let him take his time, and he'll know quickly you're not a threat.

Like Zyn said - it's time now to focus on his technical care...

Limbo Linda

I'm getting concerned. He/She hasn't eaten ANYTHING in 2 weeks. He has been shedding for at least that long. I offer him food everyday, but he turns his back on me and closes his eyes, in his usual fashion... What shall I do?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
They are good at not eating - I would still say don't panic. Especially since he could have started his brumation process before you got him. Does he look healthy otherwise? No sniffling - coughing, serious weight loss? What temp are you keeping him at in his enclosure? Does he have a basking light that provides a good 110 degrees or more?

I think he's sulking. Do you have the same enclosure that your grandson had for him? If it's new, he can hold out for a long time without food. It's amazing how much they don't like being uprooted. Try some ground turkey that is average meatball size (try 5-6 of those on a small plate), and skip the fruit and veggies. My adult male doesn't touch those - yours might be the same. Do you live by a reptile store? You really need to get some frozen adult mice - I'm getting mine lately at LLLReptile (west coast) that come 10 in a bag for $10.00 total. The price may have gone up, but that was the last I paid. They can't resist mice (thawed) - but use your tongs. I accidentally got very badly bitten by dangling the mouse with my fingers. He didn't realize he did it, but he lunged at it, over-shot the whole thing and got my thumb. He def didn't know he got my thumb. It wasn't fun prying off his jaw with my left hand. Honestly, I'm not trying to scare you AT ALL. This was my fault. He wasn't trying to bite me, but accidents can happen.

If you're east, you might try Premium Crickets - I know they have them, but not sure if the price is as good. (premiumcrickets.com)

Last edited:

Zyn

If he refuses a thawed mouse then it’s either a temp issue or brumation. My female sleeps for months during brumation in a low 50s high 40s garage all winter

Limbo Linda

OK....I'm puzzled...... In doing some research, I think he may have started brumation, but I'm not sure. He/She has a very low amount of activity right now. The most moving around that he does right now is turning himself around inside his hollowed out log and facing the opposite direction . He sticks his head out of the right side of the log for a fair amount of time, and then he turns around inside the log and sticks his head out of the left side of the log for a fair amount of time. I have not yet determined what criteria causes him to change direction - whether it is the sun coming in the window that he is in front of, or what, but that is his limited activity right now. When I go In to feed him, it's like I can't keep him awake long enough to get his attention. But, I can't say that he really IS sleeping, because he is known to close his eyes when he just wants me to get lost. Sooooo, I'm perplexed. Every type of food that I offer him, he turns his back on - literally. I've tried stew beef, grapes, and a raw egg to no avail. Today I will buy him ground turkey. God forbid, I will have to find someone else to feed him the thawed mouse. I can NOT. But, at least I am now open to the idea where before it was not an option.
He appears healthy. One day last week I panicked because he had a runny nose. But that has subsided. He has a good basking lamp, but he doesn't lay under it. And, it's the same enclosure that he is accustomed to. I'll try the Premium crickets and the ground turkey, and if those don't do the trick, then I have someone in mind who I think will be able to feed the thawed mice.
If you have any thoughts, please share them with me. The little guy is growing on me, which I never thought was possible. I'm really getting worried about him (or her). Many thanks. Linda

Zyn

I mean if he’s an adult crickets won’t do much, and as an adult he can handle small thawed rats whole prey is an important part of their diet. That aside he sounds like brumation. It may be a little warm if he won’t go all the way under. My tegu burrows down about 6 inches and is completely covered by his substrate and hide and I don’t see her again for 2-3 months. Lights off heat off and in my garage she stays in the mid to low 50s.

Limbo Linda

Wow, no he/she doesn't burrow down at all. He just stays on top of his substrate, but mostly stays inside his hollowed out log. He opens his eyes when I enter his habitat, but if he doesn't want to eat, or if he doesn't want me around, he closes his eyes and ignores me. If I try to hard to get him to eat, he closes his eyes and temporarily withdraws further inside his log - just far enough that I can't easily see him or bother him, and then pokes his head back out when I'm gone.. So, maybe it isn't brumation? He has finally stopped shedding. He is in front of a large window, so I don't think he is too warm, but I need to get another thermometer to be sure. I'm going to take a trip to the pet store to see what I can do to improve his habitat conditions. Right now he just has the bare minimums.

Zyn

Sounds like he wants to brumate but it’s either to warm or he can’t hide enough literally pit a box in if he gets under it and stays under he’s trying to brumate. They don’t want to be seen while doing it and a log doesn’t offer enough of a hiding spot because it’s open on both sides my female brumate under a large tot from Walmart

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Agree with Zyn - it sounds like he had some serious adapting to do with being moved, getting a new owner, and it being brumation season.

Limbo!! Don't be afraid of the dead mice/rats.....they're goners anyway, and while I can totally relate, and originally reconsidered getting a Tegu because of their diet...I'm so glad I went forward with it. You'll get completely used to it in no time.

One last thing.....when my Tegu closes his eyes as I walk up to him, I am convinced he's looking for a good rub on the ears/jowls. That behavior is one of peace and contentment!! Great time to rub his ears for sure.

Keep us informed! - I'm loving this story. You're really doing great.
(Don't worry about crickets if he's 2 yrs old. - My male never ate any bugs ever. Turned his nose up at them every time I tried)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
One last thing!...Don't forget the water! Soooo important to give him/her fresh water every couple days. One way to easily thaw the frozen mice or rats is to put one in a small bowl with very hot water. They thaw in 15 mins or less. By doing that - you're giving him a water soaked food that helps keep him hydrated.

Limbo Linda

I am so grateful for the advice and support. I have offered the raw egg for 3 days straight now and, same-o, nothing doing. He/She has not eaten anything for weeks now. I am so concerned. I guess I will have to work in the mice. They are just so creepy!! He just really seems content in his log. He curls up and wraps that long tail around in there with him. He doesn't budge from in there. He isn't even drinking his water. I hope I don't screw this up for my grandsons. They are counting on me. I feel so inadequate right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744