• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New and a bit nervous!

Reptimomma

4318772E-377B-4995-BDC9-15A047225103.jpeg
947FE1F5-42AF-4CCA-AD37-30E270E4B7EC.jpeg
Hello, I’m a new owner and a bit nervous to say the least. I’ve wanted a Black&white tegu since I was 7 and I did a huge power point on why I should get one but could never find one after I convinced my parents. Skip forward 14 years and I finally found one! Only concern is... The country I found (her..him... it? I know how to sex a snake not a tegu) has no animal cruelty laws and the pet shop I found her in was very disgusting to put the least. I’m worried for her health, but she shows no signs of sickness. I have no idea how old she is, if she’s underweight, is she’s not eating right etc. she ate a bite full of ground beef/ a banana slice/ and a grape the first night I had her. The second night she ate about 7 crickets and now today she won’t even touch food. Did I feed her too much? Secondly, I have no access to a vet because no one out here handles exotics I need help finding out through others if she seems healthy since research has only gotten me so far. When I tell you the pet store was bad I mean inches of feces and dead animals everywhere bad. And before you judge me for getting her there, I couldn’t leave her for that life and as much as I wish I could save all the animals there I am not rich and could only save one I may just be stressing... Better safe than sorry though.

Gary

It’s going to be hard to keep humidity where it should be in a wire cage.

They take time to eat regularly especially immediately after changing environments.

Cute little guy!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No judging. Agree with Gary. Also, place a day's worn shirt in its hide and talk to it when you are near.

Reptimomma

Great tips thanks! And I’m not so sure humidity is an issue! Lol I live on a tropical Island and humidity is always 100% here. It’s like breathing water here. Plus i give her soaks daily. But I will keep an eye out and if she looks like she’s getting dry I’ll set up a humidifier!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam