• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Ackies (and a few ?'s)

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
I recently purchased, but haven't picked up, a trio of 'yellow' ackies. I've been very interested in getting a BW tegu, but the opportunity to get these guys came up and I'm very excited. They are my first monitors and while I've read as much as I can about them, I still have some questions.

My initial caging is a Showcase 3x2x2. I'm only going to run (again, initially) about 4-5" of soil/sand substrate. I've bought wood and plan to create a Retes stack for basking which will be beneath a dual light setup to allow for a larger basking spot. I've also got a few different hides and I'm planning on putting one of my radiant heat panels up to ensure ambient cage temps remain at least 75 on the cool side even in winter.
I've talked to the current owner and I plan to follow his lead for feeding: crickets, pinkies, roaches. I have access to all locally.

I really want to get into breeding (and I've even reserved a trio of reds somewhere else - though those will be babies so breeding them is some time off), but I've been told the male will eat the eggs almost immediately if he's not separated from them. So...how can I do that? Most of the posts I've seen about gravid females say it's pretty hard to tell when they are gravid. I have extra caging to move the females to when they are ready (or the male). I plan to keep them all together as that's what the current owner has done.

So, my questions are - does the setup sound good for the beginning? I will move them to a 6x2.5x2.5 as soon as I can, but it will be a few months. Will the substate work in the depth I've planned? I went to a shop recently where they have a 10 year old pair on about 1" of substrate and they produce regularly. Are my plans for heating sound?

For lighting, I know there is a debate about whether UV light is needed, and then within the camp that says it is, at what strength and distance. I was going to add, in the slot provided for in the Showcase, a 36" tube - but T8/T12/T5? Which is best and why?

I will have all the pieces in place for a few days before I go pick them up - which I'd like to do very soon. So any help you all can provide, especially if it comes from actual experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Ujarak

I don't personally own any ackies but a buddy mine breeds his and he said that the female tends to go off of food for a couple days and digs in her nesting box quite a bit before she lays so maybe if you see any behavior like that you could take out the male for good measure. As far as UV lighting if you do decide to use it i usually go with the 10.0 T8's. Also if you need a cheap lamp fixture in your larger tank Wal Mart sells a double bulb 4' T8 one for only $11.

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
I just read an article in Reptiles magazine (Dec 2011) about ackie care along with a companion web article about breeding and that helped a lot as did the FAQ sheet from Pro Exotics. There is some good information out there.

Once I get to the point where I'm breeding, I'll be looking for just what you mentioned, Ujarak, and checking in frequently with them. While proper caging is first, once I have the two new cages, I plan to install spy cams in both enclosures tied to a dvr so I can keep an eye on things even when not sitting in front of them. I'm pretty fortunate in that a recent change to our house means I get two fairly large (18x20 and 15x16) rooms to "decorate". The larger also houses my computers and books, so it won't be at the high humidity levels or temps, but the smaller is perfect for a few (say...4?) 6x2.5x2.5 cages, plus a sofa and chair. I'll be able to check them out for hours!

Any other ideas, thoughts, positive encouragement (I know, I know, this is the internet!) are welcome!!

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
[attachment=4297]
The Ackie shack warming up.

http://norcalal.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-dFGc78m/0/M/smugshot5676299-M.jpg

Maybe that works?

smugshot5676299-M.jpg

Man, do I feel stupid...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336251165.440984.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336251165.440984.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
smugshot1066457-M.jpg

The whole shebang ready for ackies tomorrow. 135f basking spot, each shelve lowers that 5-7 degrees. Bottom is about 80f. Far right side is about 75-80 dependent on room temp. Above right side is a helix RHP for winter. That will be set to keep ambient temps around 80f. Substrate is clean potting soil mixed with some Eco-Earth. Humidity is about 60%.

smugshot9117807-M.jpg

Right side close up showing hides and climbing stuff.

Both females are supposed to be gravid, so I also purchased a new incubator today - Reptipro 6000. That is in a closet in the center of the house, so very little ambient temp change.

I have two more of these Showcase 3x2x2's that will be set up similar to allow the females some 'alone time' to drop eggs. Once some of those hatch and are sold, I'm going to have two 72"x30"x30" cages built. One for this trio of yellows and one for a trio of reds I have on order. WoooHoooo!

Then, next summer, I'm looking for a BW.

LizardzRock

Awesome!!!! I cannot wait till I get my duo!!! Have no clue of when but I am on the notification list with PE.

Your enclosure looks pretty damn good, I must say. They are going to love it!

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
Thank you! Here's a couple shots of my fledgling reptile/bird room:
IMG0655-M.jpg

Above is the whole room with my eclectus cage back in the corner. I expect he'll go out in the front room next year when I get a pair of blue tree monitors and they go in that spot! Note the couch for kickin' back and watching the monitors.
IMG0657-M.jpg

Two of the three Showcase cages. Both will be, for now, for the ackies. I'm looking and thinking I could put a couple holes and pop rivet the two together! Hmmm....
DSC1525-M.jpg

Last will be to move this girl down in there with everybody else. I still can't believe my better half not only isn't bothered, but helped me clear all this out and set things up. She even helped clear out the hall closet to build in the incubators!

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
You got it buddy! So should I do like some unnamed famous tegu breeder and seek deposits? Heh, I am going to the beach for the weekend and could use some extra spending money... (THIS IS A JOKE!! I AM KIDDING! PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME!!!) :0)

It was funny to me anyway...but then, I thought the Big Lebowski was funny, so there ya go...

LizardzRock

That's some really nice set ups. My better half has surprised me lately as well helping me with a few herp related tasks. Makes it a little more fun when they are getting into it to. She is already talking about getting some type of herp, but she is very indecisive so we shall see how that pans out.

Like Ujarak stated, I would be more than interested in some ackies if that scenario occurs. :D

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
Here's the male:
IMG0672-M.jpg

A couple more - all cell phone shots. It was a long day.
IMG0670-M.jpg

IMG0667-M.jpg

Both females were, indeed, gravid. One dropped her clutch last night while still at the breeder. The other one is near ready to pop. Hopefully my incubator will make it here soon!

LizardzRock

WoW they look great!!! That would be awesome because your acquirement of these has really made me look for them harder. I have been on the PE notification list for some time now and which can take up to 12 weeks just to be notified to let you now if they are able to get you one and that is not hatched and ready to go. I found a guy on fauna or possibly kingsnake, but do not know how reliable he might be. Exchanged a few emails, they are yellow hatchlings for 250 plus S/H.

Those are some beauties though and congrats on them and their safe transport home. :)

Do you know a breeder that will ship to Louisiana that I could get in contact with?

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
They ended up spending the weekend home alone as we had important prior plans. Came home to find everyone basking and all the food GONE. They ate 31 crickets, 5 roaches and 5 pinkies. We were gone about 28 hours. So the settling in seems to have happened. I can find no evidence of egg shells, so she must be waiting for the incubator, bless her cold little heart!
Better pics later today.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced