• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need suggestions

Jstew

I'm looking to get my second monitor here soon... I don't like ackies and I'm not a fan of timors or any species of tree monitor... What are some good choices of monitors that stay under 4 feet? Preferably ones that are known to have decent temperaments. Suggestions of big biddied monitors are welcome I'm open to all ideas!

Logie_Bear

Blackheads are another dwarf monitor, as an alternative to Ackies. Savs and blackthroats are another 'tameable' monitor. But, not sure if that'd be a bit over the 4 ft size

Jstew

And black throats are pretty hard to get right now.. Idk ill probbaly get a beardie but I'd really rather not. I wish my space wasn't so limited

herpgirl2510

If space is the issue I would not go for a sav their enclosures are huge at four feet deep at 7-8 feet long. I think unless you go for a tree monitor most of the other monitors get very large and their enclosures are even bigger.

HeatherN

black throats are awesome, but they get huge!! Beardies are kinda "average" and common reptiles, but they can still be very rewarding. Though i'd suggest making sure you get yours from a good breeder. They tend to be healthier and much better looking /behaved than pet store ones. Maybe you could try a giant plated lizard? sudan, perhaps? Those guys are awesome too

HeatherN

they just require really HOT temps. i share the sentiment, but the high temp requirements are kind of discouraging for me. Uro's are crazy cool though, and can tame down nice as i understand it.

Jstew

I definitely don't want two Uros one is plenty. I want something share shares my love of eating rodents

Jstew

You can't write off monitors due to space. Timors and dwarf timors are small as are ackies. There's a surprising amount of arboreal monitors that have reasonable space requirements that's where I was hoping you guys would come in with ideas

Tannaros

You could always go for a blue tongue skink. They get fairly large, but not anywhere near 4', they're omnivorous - every single one of mine eats anything I offer. Seriously, anything. If it's on the tongs it's goin' in the mouth. Dubia, pinky, egg, turkey, grapes, strawberries, collared greens, bottle cap, crayon, joy. Anything.

They also have very interesting personalities, and one of mine seems to think he's a snake and attempts to use his limbs as little as possible to move.

Tannaros

I've actually been considering those guys they're really interesting animals

They really are.

I know it's not quite the monitor you were looking for - but when they're young they're quite active and fairly agile. When they're adults they're similar to bearded dragons, they generally switch from a high protein to more ruffage and green diet. Also, assuming they're not obese, they still remain pretty active. Very inquisitive.

Jstew

I like their temperaments from what I've seen with my experience with them. I might get one just to gain some experience with an animal I'm unfamiliar with. They're neat guys and not too common in the beginner reptile world so It will be fun to being one in to work to teach my co workers as well

Tannaros

They're exceedingly forgiving animals. Also, there are also a few morphs out. Hyper melanistics exist, in addition to albinos.

Logie_Bear

I've been seriously considering diving into owning a blue-tongue as well. Once my gu's new enclosure is done, I'll have this empty 40gal breeder... and I get empty-tank syndrome pretty badly. :rolleyes: I just can't decide between beardie, blue-tongue, or something else more obscure.

Did you look at the black headed monitors at all? It's V. Tristis Tristis. They're pretty cute!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam