• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Naturalistic set ups/bio active enclosures

Bug

Do any of you keep your Tegus on bio active substrate and/or in a naturalistic vivarium? I'd love to see pics of your set ups for inspiration. I'm planning a naturalistic bio active viv for when my currently small Extreme Giant Tegu grows into the designation.

beardeddragon111

Infernalis1 on youtube has great videos on his bioactive cage for savannah monitors. I'd assume any live plant would be torn to shreds by a tegu.

chris00144

5 Year Member
my 4 year old female tegu in her outdoor enclosure two days ago can't get more bioactive then that lol her first frozen rat of the year

Bug

Lol I don't necessarily mean planted when I say naturalistic. Just like not all mulch and log hides and stuff. Like dirt and logs and rocks etc

chris00144

5 Year Member
Yeah I know what you mean just hard to do anything to naturalistic indoors unless you build something huge

Bug

I'm doing 8x4x4 with a few additions, but am prepared to build larger if my critter outgrows it.

chris00144

5 Year Member
In my older indoor enclosure I had a nice mix of like 6 bags of organic top soil couple 5 pound bags of play sand and couple bags spagnom Moss with leaf litter from my backyard

Jorgo

Welp, going for the bioactive, got most things going...but I just realized a potentially large mistake, and hoping any vivarium users might got some answers or thoughts.

I bought charcoal briquettes, as it charcoal is supposed to be very good for vivariums. However I just found out that some briquettes potentially use lighter fluid in their mix....should I just toss the whole mix out, is there a way to wash away these potential chemicals? Or is it not much to worry about?
For full disclosure, I had gotten Home 360 classic charcoal briquets. It is not in the enclosure.

beardeddragon111

Welp, going for the bioactive, got most things going...but I just realized a potentially large mistake, and hoping any vivarium users might got some answers or thoughts.

I bought charcoal briquettes, as it charcoal is supposed to be very good for vivariums. However I just found out that some briquettes potentially use lighter fluid in their mix....should I just toss the whole mix out, is there a way to wash away these potential chemicals? Or is it not much to worry about?
For full disclosure, I had gotten Home 360 classic charcoal briquets. It is not in the enclosure.
Only use pure 100% natural lump wood charcoal, not the briquettes. The brand I use is called royal oak, you can get huge cheap bags of the stuff at Home Depot. If you want to be extra careful you could just use horticulture charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorgo

Only use pure 100% natural lump wood charcoal, not the briquettes. The brand I use is called royal oak, you can get huge cheap bags of the stuff at Home Depot. If you want to be extra careful you could just use horticulture charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well darn it >.> Well better safe than sorry. ha, spent the whole day trying to crush the stuff, and read about this! Thank you for the input

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam