• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My tegu seems to be aggressive lately

NewTeguMom

Well I believe my tegu was abused or at least mistreated before I got him. When he was handed over to me he struggled and scratched my entire arm all the way up.. then when he was on the transport bag he was fine and calm I rubbed him and he was ok. Then we got him home let him roam our 6,000 sq foot area and he was fine.. he did escape his enclosure and hid on us for a few days...But since then he has been aggressive. When I touch him he puffs up and hisses, and whips. But I’ve been slowly putting my hand in the enclosure and letting him just smell me for a period of time then after a while I try to rub his back and he puffs up hisses and whips again.. it’s been like this for months now. And I can’t figure out why!!! How do I fix it! Anyone help!?

Griffin

I doubt he was mistreated or abused, they’re not puppy dogs as some people and a lot of others on the internet like to try to say they are. You stated he scrated your arm when you got him- Yeah that’s completely normal they have sharp claws and if he/she is on your arm, then your arm will be walked on/scratched- You should’ve seen my arm a couple weeks ago I had scratches every where.

Second, how often are you interacting with the tegu? If you put your arm in his cage for 15 minutes a day and you want him to be completely chill- Not going to cut it. Read James Smiths thread, he works with his tegu hours a day and shows lots of passion.

My tegu does not like her back touched, she will arch it upward occasionally if i do touch her back. Thats a clear and obvious indicator to me , to not touch her there. You said your tegu does the same, then why would you keep doing that? Reading their body language is one of the most important parts of the taming process.

It appears you have been in this position with a grumpy lizard for a couple months now, I think you should try another method. How are you feeding her? I recommend tong feeding, that way they see that you are the one who used the tongs, which the tongs are the item that gives me food. That creates a positive relationship so that when she sees you, she thinks “Thats the guy that has food” But when she sees the tongs It’s “I get to eat”. Your tegu can learn that correlation quickly and it has worked flawlessly for me. I would highly advise against putting a bowl with food into her cage and leaving at that.

A couple last things, your tegu is definitely not comfortable with you or your hand. When you tong feed eventually, set your hand inside the cage, but don’t touch. you can dangle the food above your hand that you will place inside the cage and she will need to climb onto your hand in order to get the food. This will get her comfortable during handling or just being on/around you in general. Doing this everyday and report back here

Best of luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602